Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nishiki Market closed on 14/15 May? 2008/5/8 20:38
I understand that the Nishiki Market is closed once a week on either a Sunday or Wednesday. Does anyone know if the market will be closed in the week of 12-18th May on a Sunday or Wednesday?

I am spending only 2 days in Kyoto (14th and 15th). 14th is a Wednesday and the 15th happens to be the day of the Aoi Matsuri. Is the market open on festivals like the Aoi Festival?

Thanks!
by Cherry  

... 2008/5/9 07:44
I understand that the Nishiki Market is closed once a week on either a Sunday or Wednesday

No. Opening hours and closing days depend on each individual store. Most stores are open between 9:00 and 18:00 and close on one day of the week, typically Wednesday or Sunday. The market is never entirely closed. It is just that on Sundays and Wednesdays you will encounter more closed shops than on the other days of the week.

More details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3931.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji 2008/5/9 09:43
So not all shops will be closed, and even on holidays or festivals? The 15th is the celebration of the Aoi Matsuri.
by Cherry rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/9 10:18
So not all shops will be closed, and even on holidays or festivals?

Outside of Sunday and Wednesday, you can expect almost all of the shops to be open.

As for the Aoi Matsuri, it has no influence on shop opening hours/days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

:) 2008/5/9 10:37
Thanks again!
by Cherry rate this post as useful

reply to this thread