Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel time between Kyoto attractions 2008/5/9 09:41
Hi there!

Is there a website where I can find out the travel time in between the Kyoto attractions by bus/train/foot?

My current plans are as follows:
Day 1:
Morning - kinkakuji
Noon - Philosopher's Walk
Afternoon - Kiyomizu
Evening - Kyoto Tower

Day 2:
Morning - Imperial Palace
Noon - Nishiki Market
Mid-afternoon - Nijo Castle
Evening - Gion/Pontocho

I would like to know the time it takes to travel between these places. I am open to buses, trains and also walking, whichever is more efficient and cheap. The guides I have gave only the traveling time of each attraction from the Kyoto Station.

Right now, I'm giving each place around 30min to an hour's worth of travel time. Is this a safe estimate? I'll continue finding the answer to my question meanwhile. Thanks!
by Cherry  

... 2008/5/9 19:33
kinkakuji - Philosopher's Walk

About 30 minutes by bus #102

Philosopher's Walk - Kiyomizu

About 90-240 minutes by pleasant walk (depending on how often you stop along the way).

Or 20 minutes by bus #100.

Kiyomizudera - Kyoto Tower

About 30 minutes on foot or 10 minutes by bus #100

Imperial Palace - Nishiki Market

A 5 minute subway ride (Imadegawa to Karasuma Station)

Nishiki Maket - Nijo Castle

A 10 minute subway ride (Karasuma Station to Nijojomae Station via Karasuma/Oike)

Nijojo - Gion/Pontocho

A 10 minute subway ride (Nijojomae to Sanjo Keihan Station) follwoed by a 5 minute walk to the northern end of Pontocho
by Uji rate this post as useful

Distances 2008/5/10 01:27
To be honest, I wound up walking around most of Kyoto, because I found it was less frustrating that packing myself onto a bus and paying about $220 each time I took a ride. I feel the buses can be unnecessary, and you miss everything in between. If you're comfortable with walking that much, it isn't a huge city. You can cover north to south, east to west in a relatively short time. Maybe not as fast as on a bus, but it is definitely more pleasant.

Keep in mind, if you come into the city through Kyoto Station, you're already at the tower. If you want to see the Philosopher's Path and the Kinkakuji in one day, they're on opposite sides of the city from one another. The path is by the Ginkakuji, which is currently under restoration.

I literally walked the entire length of the city to see everything. (Aside from Fushimi Inari.) It was pretty pleasant, and we discovered a nice spot to cross the Kamo, where there are large stepping stones shaped like turtles and birds.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Bus isn't too bad 2008/5/10 02:58
The bus system isn't too bad. If you're worried about paying 220 yen every trip, get a one day pass for about 500 yen I think. It's a sweet deal.
by Dave rate this post as useful

Bicycle 2008/5/10 03:01
Another fun way to explore Kyoto is to rent a bicycle, and you don't have to wait for crouded busses and line-ups. You can rent them at several places in Kyoto and even a one-way-rental is possible.
http://www.kctp.net/en/rental/index.html
by Bert rate this post as useful

Thanks for the replies 2008/5/10 03:04
I think we will be taking the bus on the first day and walking on the second day.

The attractions on the second day seem to be nearer.

Renting a bicycle is not an option for us as one of them can't ride it.

Thanks! =)
by Cherry rate this post as useful

reply to this thread