Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pronouns- 'ware' 'nanji' etc 2008/5/9 22:01
Hi, on occasion I come across certain pronouns, the exact connotations of which I don't really understand.
For example, save the one famous example of 'Wagahai' (Soseki's book), I have no frame of reference for who would have used that pronoun, in what context, etc. Also 'ware', which except in 'wareware' I have never really heard, and the second-person 'nanji'; I think they are sort of biblical, but what exactly do they infer regarding the user? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
by Ashiyura  

... 2008/5/10 13:00
If I read "wagahai," yes, the first thing that comes to mind is Soseki - and since noone by now uses that, it brings up a picture of the literary world from at least Meji era. Someone might use it playfully just to make himself sound important...

"ware" sounds heavy and stuffy. I believe the words of Descartes (the philosopher) "I think, therefore I am" is translated with a "ware" in it. "Wareware" sounds quite heavy too. The only time I actually *hear* "wareware" in everyday life is when some right-wingers are making their statements through a loudspeakers in town...

"nanji" - I think I've *seen* it only in translated Bible.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread