Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

staying in an isolated village 2008/5/12 20:11
i want to meditate and be able to preform my spiritual practise and stay in japan for 6mth to a yr. do you know of a village in the mountains where i can find accomodation for this length of time?
by Subhada Das  

visa first 2008/5/13 15:07
Your first issue would be a visa- the usual visitor's permit is 90 days.
by Sira rate this post as useful

isolated village 2008/5/13 15:38
thanks sira for the info...if was was to teach english then maybe the visa time would not be an issue thanks again
by Subhada Das rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/5/13 16:40
Finding an English teaching job in an isolated village would be another issue- most jobs are in the populated areas, and you would have to work full-time, making it not such a meditative experience, I would have thought.
by Sira rate this post as useful

isolated village 2008/5/13 18:18
iguess you are right, but do you have any idea of where would be a good area to find a quiet place in the mountains??

staying in the boonies 2008/5/14 03:29
Not to be sarcastic but what is wrong with finding an isolated area in your own country to meditate? There is nothing about the Japanese air that makes meditating there any better. The fact is many Japanese don't meditate and those that do find their isolated village in their own mind, even in the heart of Shinjuku. But it you insist.. one obvious way is to buy a map of Japan and look for areas with few big towns,on the slopes of a mountains perhaps. You can then refine your search by looking for that region on the internet. You can then visually check an area and a village on Googgle earth. As other people have noted, You can't stay over 6 months unless you work and you can't find work in a little village. Even native Japanese have a hard time to find work in a small place.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/14 09:45
As other people have noted, You can't stay over 6 months unless you work and you can't find work in a little village.

Just to reclarify, a typical tourist visa only lasts 90 days which is about 3 months.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

meditate in isolated village?? 2008/5/14 10:26
In the first place, I'm not really sure if you can easily concentrate on meditating if you're in an isolated village.

An isolated village is most likely to have neighbors who keep bugging your life all the time so that they can build a tight bond in spite of the isolation from the other parts of the country.

I'm no expert, but I have the impression that if you want to meditate in Japan, you should live in the city, have a job and take side trips, or simply become a monk. But I have the impression that beginner monks are busy with their chores.

I do know and see people on TV who live isolated in the mountains APART from any village or town, but those people have at least lived in Japan for several years and know their way. Like Sensei mentioned, I wonder why the OP thought of Japan and not any other country.

I know practically nothing about visas, by the way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

isolated village 2008/5/14 12:23
thanks to everyone for the suggestions i have taken all on board....

reply to this thread