Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

questions on culture and etc. 2008/5/15 06:33
I am 17 and going on an exchange trip to japan for 7 months. I am very excited and have always wanted to go to Japan. Just out of curiousity here are some questions i have been wondering about.

1. Since my nationality is different (Canadian) and am going to a japanese high school will i be treated very different?
2. What are the main trends for teenage boys in japan clothes wise? i wear skater clothes but i dunno if thats the hype or not?
3.Are japanese girls shy or very outgoing because i have heard both before ^^ and head there exetremely nice so who knows?^^ (curious)
4. When staying at my home stay house what are some very polite gestures i can use? i really want to act nice around my homestay and make sure to strike up awesome conversations!

If you can answer any of these questions for me thankyou! ^^
by Erik  

... 2008/6/11 10:56
1. Since my nationality is different (Canadian) and am going to a japanese high school will i be treated very different?

Yes, you will be treated differently because you are different. You won't be discriminated again, but you will be treated like an exchange student.

2. What are the main trends for teenage boys in japan clothes wise? i wear skater clothes but i dunno if thats the hype or not?

At school you will most likely wear a school uniform. Blazer, shirt, tie, and slacks, or military style suit. Outside of school just be yourself and wear whatever you'd wear at home. Skater clothes is a popular style.

3.Are japanese girls shy or very outgoing because i have heard both before ^^ and head there exetremely nice so who knows?^^ (curious)

It turns out that Japanese girls are shy, outgoing, nice, mean, and all of the above. Everyone is different so you're going to run into someone of every type.

4. When staying at my home stay house what are some very polite gestures i can use? i really want to act nice around my homestay and make sure to strike up awesome conversations!

I'm not sure what you mean by polite gestures. Perhaps knowing about impolite gestures might be more useful. One thing that got me initially is that people often point with their middle finger.

You can't go wrong if you are polite to the standards of your home country and then adjust as you go along.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread