Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

would this route be feasible ? 2008/5/15 11:08
I am gonna book my trip to Japan in a few days and I am exicted

I was thinking for going to Kyoto and staying there for about 7 days including mount koya for the temples and serene traquilty

then head over to Tokyo for 2 weeks

Now I hope I can get a plane to go to Kyoto and then leave from Tokyo.

P.S I live in London, thanks
by Abhi  

Kansai 2008/5/15 19:55
Abhi,

If you want to go straight to Kyoto, look at flights to Kansai Airport (Osaka), which is more convenient for Kyoto than Narita (Tokyo). JAL operates between London and Kansai.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

JPR and how to get to osaka 2008/5/16 00:46
ok which airport to I want to fly to ?

also how would I gte to Kyoto, with JPN railpass

also is it worth me getting JPN RP.

as I will be using that to get to Kyoto frmo Osaka, mount Koya and then to Tokyo

I mean can I use the JPN RP in Tokoy

also I might have to get back to Osaka as it seems cheaper

I will let you guys know
by Abhi rate this post as useful

how long is train ride 2008/5/16 01:02
I assume I have to get to Osaka Kansai to get to Koyto

also what airport do I want to lnad in Tokyo

also how long is the JPN rail from Tokoyo to Osaka.

Narita 2008/5/16 04:32
Kensai (Osaka) for kyoto, which is not far from Kyoto. Narita for Tokyo, which is about 40 minutes on the Narita express form the Tokyo station.

Have fun, with a week in Kyoto, you will get to see A LOT, including all the surrounding cities
by godwine rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/5/16 04:57
but I am not going till Oct and I will go to mount Koya as well from Osaka.

Is it worth me getting a JPN RP to go to osaka, to kyoto, to mount koya and then to Tokyo and back to Osaka.

Can I use the RP in those 3 places

. 2008/5/16 06:35
Why do you want to return to Osaka from Tokyo? You can fly into Kansai airport and out of Narita (Tokyo). If you are flying from London, check out Gendai Travel:

http://www.gendai.co.uk/en/

They offer a flight with KLM (change at Schiphol)that gives you 30Kg luggage allowance (against 20Kg with other airlines) and if you are anywhere near the East End, you can even fly from London City airport.

If you fly into Kansai and out of Narita, a JR Railpass would probably not be good value unless you clocked up some more trips. The JR Pass is of no use for getting to Koyasan.

I would suggest you fly into Kansai, stay in the Namba area for 2-3 nights and take a day trip to Koyasan. You can then get to Kyoto for around 620 Yen (Osaka subway to Osaka station, Hankyu Railway to Karasuma station (in Kyoto).

If you are not using a JR Pass, you can use the Nozomi shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo, about 2 hours 20 minutes, 13,520 Yen one way with a reserved seat.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Thanks Rob beer 2008/5/16 15:27
I will call the link you gave as 10kg is quite good

is it 30kg with hand luggage or not 2008/5/19 05:13
so is it 7kg in hand luggage and 23 kg in suitcases
OR 30 kg in suit cases and 7kg in hand luggage ?

. 2008/5/19 06:06
30 kg suitcase checked in and 7kg for hand luggage. In the past I have returned with two pieces of checked luggage, although it might be worth checking that two pieces for checked luggage still applies.

Thanks Rob beer 2008/5/20 04:06
I thought I say it here as I cant PM you

I got the flight and I can carry 30KG suitcases and 10KG Hand luggage

40kg of luggage?? 2008/5/20 08:33
Are you actually planning to take luggage up to that limit? That amount of luggage would be very hard to manoeuvre and store on trains (even the shinkansen) and would be a pain in the stations as well as there are no elevators quite often.

I try never to travel with more than about 15kg of luggage. The lighter you travel the less hassles you will have.
by Sira rate this post as useful

no you misunderstand 2008/5/20 08:34
The reason for the weight is for bringing stuff back

I plan to go with hardly anything but come back with as much stuff as possible

. 2008/5/20 19:56
Sira, I actually use that allowance to the max. On the way out I take beer for friends, and as with Abhi, I load up on stuff for the return. Even though the suitcase may not be at maximum weight throughout my trips, it is usually at maximum size of around 35cm x 53cm x 72cm, I have never had a problem with storage on trains and rarely have a problem at stations. In fact, on may last trip I only had to negociate stairs at Otsuka and about 12 steps in a Kyoto subway station. That was out of a total of 15 cities.

allowance 2008/5/20 21:14
Fair enough, if it's for taking stuff home. I have travelled in 37 countries though, and I am constantly amazed by the enormous amounts of luggage some people carry around. Having tried both travelling light and heavy, I know which I prefer. After that amount of travelling my family has pretty much had enough of souvenirs, so I don't buy that much anymore!
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread