Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electronic dictionary enquiries 2008/5/15 14:06
Hi, I would be going to Japan soon. I would be going to buy an electronic dictionary (denshi jisho), maybe somewhere at Akihabara.

Looking for all of the following functions:

1. Japanese Character Search - Japanese Kanji can be searched via writing the character on the screen

2. Hiragana and Katakana dictionary

3. Can translate English/Chinese into Japanese and vice versa.

4. Provide Furigana for Kanji

5. Sound function, for clear pronouciation of Japanese

6. With a English manual

That's all I could think of now.

Would be using it for preparation for JLPT3 and more difficult levels.

I had already look at this: http://store.aikotradingstore.com/canonwordtank.html

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Any model recommendation for Casio and Canon?

What electronic dictionary are native English speakers using?

Does an electronic dictionary have an adapter or something? Is it "international-friendly"?

Sorry for the many questions.
by lindy  

recommendation of casio GP 9700 2008/7/4 21:05
sorry for late reply, but i would like to recommend the casio GP 9700. it's relatively good except for the fact that there is no hiragana on top of kanji, but you can use the jump function to find it actually. i actually did research prior to buying the dictionary and i have not regretted my choice.:)and it operates on 2 aaa battery so there is no need for adapters...:)
by pooh rate this post as useful

That is a big ask.... 2008/7/5 11:37
Bear in mind that the dictionaries are made for Japanese people who are studying English and know their Kanji. Also they tend only to have English speech and not Japanese.
by magpie1862 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread