Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

''Goodnight'' when leaving? 2008/5/16 00:59
In the US, one might say ''goodnight'' when leaving a restaurant at the end of the evening. Does one say ''oyasumi nasai'' in the same situation, or is that only when one is going to bed? If it is not used in that way, does one simply say ''sayonara''?
by Maverick2008  

Otsukare 2008/5/16 12:35
When leaving a restaurant, you would generally say "Gochiso sama deshita" and also "Domo arigato gozaimasu". A sort of thankyou for the meal etc. etc.
by JP rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/5/16 13:55
Yes, you can say "oyasuminasai" when it's nearly bedtime when leaving a restaurant, bar or someone's home. Actually, I think it would be a lot more natural than "domo arigato gozaimasu", although "gochisosama" is most common.
by Uco rate this post as useful

gochirosama??? 2008/5/17 04:05
Yeah, gochirosama is most of the time good. Though, at times it can be too formal. Hence, I may say "Are wa ooishi kata" ("That was delicious") or merely "ooshi kata".
by Jake rate this post as useful

just my opinion as a native 2008/5/17 11:54
In my opinion, it's perfectly normal for people to say "gochiSosamadeshita" even if you're 4 years old or 94 years old and even if all you had was a cup of tea.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread