Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

credit cards 2008/5/18 05:12
Can I assume that all hotels and ryokan accept credit cards? The web sites do not say "cash only", but they also do not list credit cards. Do we need to pay at ryokan when we arrive or when we leave? I don't usually carry so much cash at once.
Thank you.
by rootles  

... 2008/5/18 07:42
Can I assume that all hotels and ryokan accept credit cards?

No! There are some hotels and ryokan (especially small, privately run establishments), that do not accept credit cards. If you are in doubt, inquire in advance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

paying at ryokan 2008/5/18 08:58
You should have cash for payment at a ryokan - there are only a few that take cards. You will pay when you leave, at which time any additional charges (beer or sake at dinner, for example, or from the room's refrigerator) will be added.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

depends on.... 2008/5/18 13:47
It depends on whether the ryokan's main customers are foreign ppl or Japanese.

The Japanese know credit card is widely accepted abroad, while Japan is cash society so that businesses targeting for Japanese ppl doesnt necessarily have to accept credit cards.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Credit cards and ryokans and hotels 2008/5/24 11:51
All hotels usually accept credit cards, Visa is the most accepted. However, bring cash to pay at ryokans and small family inns. We stayed at several ryokans and family inns and all only accepted cash. Also, there are no ATMs in small towns in remote areas and so be sure to get enough cash before going to smaller towns. You can check with the ryokan in advance if you have their phone number. This was true in Kyoto and small towns we stayed in.
by otsuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread