Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinagawa Prince Hotel & Shinjuku 2008/5/18 16:15
Has anyone stayed here or heard good or not so good things. It seems good value for $156 US night for all it offers I was looking for something in Shinjuku and was wondering if this was a convenient location, close to JR line, and close to Shinjuku and is there much to do at night in Shingawa?
thanks!
by Starry  

Shinagawa Prince 2008/5/18 20:45
I've stayed several times at the Shinagawa Prince hotel and this if my opinion:
About the rooms, try to get a room in the 'Main Tower' and try to avoid a room in the 'Annex', the rooms of the 'Annex' are ver small and a little worned-out. The rooms of the Main Tower have normal sizes (for Japan, if you are from yhe USA, you'll find them small). About the hotel, it's a nice and very big hotel (the Main Tower has 34 floors and a very nice bar/restaurant on the top floor), several swimming-pools, even a bowling and a Imax, shops, many restaurants (also a Italian), several coffeeshops, a McDonalds, Internet-cafe and much more. The Shinagawa Prince is also a stop for the Narita Limousine Bus service. The hotel is across the Shinagawa JR station, which is also a stop for the Narita Express and Shinkansen (to/from Osaka). From Shinagawa to Shinjuku is about 30 min. by JR-Yamanote loopline. About teh nightlife, Shinagawa doesn't have the spectacular nightlife of Shibuya, Roppongi or teh Shinjuku area but all this is easily reach by train or subway within 20 to 30 min. For me, this hotel is perfect in terms of location, access, service and price, but don't book a room in the 'Annex'!
by Bert rate this post as useful

Keio Plaza Hotel 2008/5/19 01:36
Is Keio Plaza Hotel good in terms of location? The hotel seems to offer special online rates to foreigners which are cheaper than hotel bookings sites
by Apple rate this post as useful

Keio Plaza 2008/5/19 14:33
Keio Plaze is also a great hotel located in the heart of the business district of Shinjuku, it's a 10 to 15 min, walk from Shinjuku station. This station is not a Shinkansen station. At night the business district of Shinjuku is very quiet, the nightlife is located on the other side of Shinjuku station which is a 15 to 20 min, walk from the hotel, to be honest the Shinjuku nightlife is not my favorite, it's mostly Japanese-only, many clubs some of them very expensive, and a lot of somekind of brothels

Shinagawa Prince Hotel 2008/5/19 16:16
I have just stayed at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel a few days ago.
I am a single woman traveller. I booked a room through the internet, expedia - or asia rooms /I don't remember. The trouble is this hotel has 4 towers and if you book a -single room- you will be placed in another tower which has a business men rooms, small with plastic bathrooms.
I enquire about this they cannot upgrade or change as I have booked through the internet and they don't know how much I have paid!
So I was told to book directly with the hotel web site and if you are travelling alone, it is worth paying a little extra for a double/twin room for a single occupancy because you will be put in a main building. and if things go wrong the hotel will be more flexible if you book through them. So watch out when you book a hotel, dont go for the what seems to be good value, it is not worth it.
by Parry rate this post as useful

Shinagawa Prince 2008/5/19 22:41
Like Parry, I made this mistake once. The room was tiny, reeks heavily of cigarette smoke and was simply awful. Never again!
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/20 00:54
I stayed in the Main Tower earlier this year. The location was great, a busy tunnel leads you from the station to the hotel, just go with the flow. The NEX and Shinkansen pass through Shinagawa at short intervals, catching trains was pretty much idiot-proof for us clueless tourists. The room had a great view cause the area is relatively skyscraper-free. (Then again, I'm used to 10 freaking meters of space between two 15-storey buildings.)

I agree with Parry though, customer service was inefficient at best. We were given a double room without LAN, which I needed for work. The manager insisted on moving me to two single rooms with LAN, which will cost more. After a meaningful talk, in which I threatened to report to some board, he finally gave me a double room with LAN. That means he had been hiding this room all along until my threat. On top of that, he had tried to make a profit from my predicament (which was the result of his hotel's inconsideration in the first place!) Ridiculous.

I don't know, perhaps they have a habit of bullying gaijin over there. Or Japanese, too. You should hold your ground if you don't get what you deserve.
by Alice rate this post as useful

to Parry 2008/5/20 01:52
The downside of booking a room by internet (like Expedia), that the system always tries to book the cheapest room, in case of the Shinagawa Prince hotel, the cheapest rooms are the rooms of the 'Annex', and yes, as I said, these rooms are very small, worned out and in your case it even reeks of smoke. If you book via the website of the hotel, you can choose your room (and tower) and probable pay a little more

reply to this thread