Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sumo wrestling. 2008/5/19 00:02
we are desperate to see sumo wrestling. we are in tokyo may 29th - june 2nd. then we are in kyoto 3rd - 8. is there anywhere we can see sumo? thanks.
by lara.  

Sumo in Tokyo 2008/5/19 11:22
we are desperate to see sumo wrestling. we are in tokyo may 29th - june 2nd. then we are in kyoto 3rd - 8. is there anywhere we can see sumo? thanks.

Unfortunately, you will just miss the May Grand Tournament in Tokyo which finishes on May 25th.
However, it is still possible to see a sumo match at the 'Special Elimination Tournament' happening at the Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan stadium on June 1st. The official website provides a good English explanation and ticket information: http://www.ntv.co.jp/sumo/english.html
by k rate this post as useful

thanks. 2008/5/19 21:28
thanks for your help! i really appreciate it, and my boyfriend is so excited to see sumo.

by lara. rate this post as useful

i like eggs 2008/5/20 01:52
i will also be visiting japan in june where will i be able to watch a sumo wrestling?
by Icon rate this post as useful

sumo in June 2008/5/20 10:00
i will also be visiting Japan in June where will i be able to watch a sumo wrestling?

The only official event in June listed on the Sumo Kyokai website is the special elimination tournament on June 1st mentioned above. The next grand sumo tournament will be held in July in Nagoya

. 2008/5/20 21:19
I would like to see sumo in July in Nagoya... I'm really not into this stuff so I have no idea about who is yokozuna, which matches should be interesting or sold-out etc., I just want to see the real sumo match with my own eyes. :)
That means I am alright with the least expensive seat. Is the distance of these seats still OK? And should I reserve it beforehand or I can get a free seat anytime?

Thank you!
by .Den rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/21 10:01
I am alright with the least expensive seat. Is the distance of these seats still OK?

Absolutely. I recently saw a day of the Tokyo Grand Sumo from the least expensive seats and was not disappointed. You can see photos of my vantage point from the cheap seats here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/nicola/080519.html

And should I reserve it beforehand or I can get a free seat anytime?

You can either reserve a seat beforehand for slightly more, or purchase a same-day General Admission ticket as you enter. In the case of Nagoya Grand Sumo, the least expensive reserved tickets are 3200 yen while the General Admission ticket is 2800 yen. Be warned though that a General Admission ticket means that you will have to line up early on the morning of the day you wish to see the sumo.
All the information for the Nagoya Grand Sumo is available here: http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/nagoya.html

. 2008/5/21 14:51
Thank you very much for the information!
by .Den rate this post as useful

reply to this thread