Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My trip plan - Advice needed 2008/5/19 07:25
Hello all,

I am backpacking with friend through out Asia and we are stopping by for 3 nights in Japan travelling from Tokyo down to Osaka before catching a flight from Kansai Airport to Hong Kong.

Day 1: NRT and Tokyo for 1 night

Day 2: Depart Tokyo to Mt.Fuji for 1 day trip. Stay 2nd niht at Nagoya

Day 3: Depart Nagoya to Kyoto, stay 3rd night in Osaka.

Day 4: To Kansai Airport flying to Hong kong.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I get 7 day JR pass? Is it worth paying for only 3-4 days travelling down from Tokyo to Osaka? Or shall we hop on the bus as we are travel a lot of places and coutries in Asia so we are budgetted tourist. Is taking bus or buying single train ticket from destination to the next one cheaper?

2. We are going last week of this coming June and it's still off season for Mt.Fuji But is it still good to go visit or even climbing?

3. What station do I get off at Mt. Fuji considered coming from Tokyo (Shinjuku station)?

4. Is it worth staying a night at Mt.Fuji area before moving on to our next destination?

Sorry if some of my questions are already asked in this forum.

Thanks for your advice.
Dani
by Dani  

JR 2008/5/19 12:19
It seems like you are not spending enough time in any one place to be able to see much.

You do not need a JR pass for your trip. You should just buy a single Shinkansen ticket Tokyo - Osaka -Kansai Airport, and make sure you are able to get off multiple times.
If you buy a bus ticket instead, you will see even less, unless you travel by bus at night, which will also save on hotels!!!!
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Mt.Fuji.... 2008/5/19 12:34
I don't think 7days JR pass is useful cause it's only for JR. Better to use bus, There are so many buses which goes to Osaka from Tokyo, Also Mt.Fuji.If you catch the bus for midnight, you can save your accommodation and the time.

July and August only.
And you can't see My.Fuji everyday, so... might be waist of your time to visit there.

JR Gotenba Station,
From shinjyuku, Odakyu-line goes to the station.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/
But buses are better for sure ! Cheaper and time has not changed much.
http://www.odakyu-hakonehighway.co.jp/pdf/english.pdf

Better to spend more time in Tokyo or Kyoto, instead of Mt Fuji. You can still see Mt.Fuji from Shinjyuku,, depends on the weather.
by kinoko718 rate this post as useful

Too rushed 2008/5/19 13:00
You are going to spend about 85% of your waking hours on your trip on the train if you follow that itnerary, I'm afraid. On day two you will have about an hour or two at Mt. Fuji before you will have to get back to Tokyo and then on a train to Nagoya- can I ask why are you stopping in Nagoya, rather than going straight to Kansai?

On Day 3 you will see very little of Kyoto before you have to leave for Osaka.

With such a short time it would be best to stay in either Tokyo or the Osaka Kyoto area rather than both.

You definitely don't have enough time to climb Mt. Fuji and at that time of the year (mid rainy season) you would be lucky to see it at all even if you are right next to it- it is more often not completely covered in cloud, and there is not much else to do in the Five Lakes area if you are only there for a couple of hours.

A practical itinerary for the time you have is to spend one day in Tokyo and 2 in Kyoto or vice versa. Save Mt. Fuji for another trip, preferably closer to winter when the sky is clearer. Your chances of having a clear enough day to see it in late June are very low.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/5/19 18:03
Hey thanks y'all for your good advices. Now seems like we do not have time to visit Mt.Fuji and it's not the time to visit and off season as late June, we won't be able to climb the Mt.Fuji right? Could we still visit the near area of Mt.Fuji though?

I am going to Nagoya because I have a good friend there so I am going to visit her for a night or somethin'.

Anyway, thank you for y'all for your advice. I will work on my time again so I will have a practical trip comin' up!

by Dani rate this post as useful

reply to this thread