Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where should my hotel in Tokyo be 2008/5/19 21:42
Would you say somewhere in the middle of Tokyo, since I assume all the best places are there.

I can go in any drirection with ease as opposed from one end to another.

Also I guess it would be best to be near a train station as well.
by Abhi  

Tokyo 2008/5/20 09:54
I recommend Shinjuku or Shibuya if you want to be in the heart of "modern" Tokyo, and Asakusa if you want to be in a more traditional area. Everywhere in central Tokyo is near many train stations.

It really depends what you want to do while there, and on your budget, as Shibuya and Shinjuku can be expensive.
by Sira rate this post as useful

my hotel should be in .... 2008/5/20 13:18
Google JR Yamanote line and click on the map to enlarge it. You should also print it. if you can stay anywhere along that line, near any station, you will be able to go pretty much anywhwere in Tokyo, by a combination of the Yamanote line, subways and other trains that intersect the Yamanote line(check the list of subway and train lines accessible from various stations on the Yamanote line .
by Red frog rate this post as useful

Shinagawa 2008/5/20 15:17
hi there, shinagawa is a great place to stay in Tokyo, its close enough to Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Shinjyuku, Ueno, and Harajuku. Its easy to get to Akihabara or really anywhere on JR Yamanote. Also, I really enjoyed staying in Ochanomizu, but that was more for sentimental purposes. Be sure to check out the "real" Tokyo.
by eljedo rate this post as useful

Whats about any of these places 2008/5/20 23:31
by Abhi rate this post as useful

ryokan in Tokyo 2008/5/21 00:25
I can recommend Sawanoya Ryokan, I've stayed there 3 times. It is tucked away in a residential neighborhood but just a few blocks from a busy street and with easy access to the Chiyoda subway line. Despite it's low price it is clean and very friendly.
by Steve rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/21 08:48
I would suggest you check out Toyoko Inn, I use them throughout Japan. Price for a single is 7,140 Yen per night, but you need to book early (max 2 months in advance).

The Otsuka number 2 location is probably the nearest to a JR station on the Yamanote line:

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00139/index.html

The area is lively, but not crowded.

They also have two locations at Ikebukuro that are almost as close to the Yamanote line, although the station is almost always very busy:

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00096/index.html

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00007/index.html

You might also check out Korakuen. Although the nearest JR stop is about 10 minutes walk away, there are 4 subway lines close by, one of the exits is across the street from the hotel. Close to the Tokyo Dome, several supermarkets and a lot of restaurants.

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00081/index.html

Unlike eljedo, I would not recommend Shinagawa. This is a very "western" style area with mostly new buildings and a very busy road between the station and the hotels. Otsuka is very much more human, the only surviving tram line in Tokyo runs through the area.

by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Rob beer, what about this one 2008/5/21 09:36
Sawanoya Ryokan

as I am thinking about them as they seem pretty good, family wise

also is the above a good location 2008/5/21 09:37
Sawanoya Ryokan

in the respect of getting around
or are they on the edge of Tokyo and I have to go distamces to get to certain areas
by abhi rate this post as useful

Rob beer also what about Tokyo Inn 2008/5/21 10:26
as if anything I ould do half and half, although I would prefer to stay in just one

Ryokan in Tokyo 2008/5/21 10:34
Here is a map from Sawanoya's website. It is near Ueno station, maybe a 20 min walk and just a few blocks (5 min walk) from Nezu station (on the Chiyoda subway line). As some o the posters above have said, if you want modern and busy, then Shinjuku or Sibuya would be more appropriate for you. Sawanoya is in more of a quiet residential area but close to transit and is in shitamachi (old downtown), more folksy and neighborhood oriented. The Chiyoda subway line will take you to Hibiya station in maybe 10 minutes. Close to that is the Imperial Palace and gardens, Ginza, Tokyo station, etc. Good luck.

http://www.tctv.ne.jp/members/sawanoya/koutuueigo.html

Thanks Steve 2008/5/21 10:41
I am not really that fussy about modern as long as its clean, comfortable and the rest

Sawara Ryokan looks nice and seems very friendly kinda like the old samurai flicks

As I said I was more interested in location as when I visited America and vsisited NY

the mistake I made was staying in New Jersey and I had to travel to NY every day and back via train which was time consuming and money

. 2008/5/21 17:53
I have not stayed at Sawanoya, but I know the area. If you are going to use the JR Yamaote line a lot, you are going to be walking 45-60 minutes a day to and from the ryokan and even the subway is half a kilometre away. There is another ryokan in the area that I've heard good things about, their annex is probably better located for transport:

http://www.katsutaro.com/annex_index.html

2 minutes from the subway (Sendagi station) and about 7-10 minutes walk to the JR Nippori station on the Yamanote line. The walk to Nippori station will take you along Yanaka Ginza, one of my favourite little shopping streets in Tokyo. The whole area is interesting, very old style.

As for Toyoko Inn, the Otsuka location also has an old style feel to it, Korakuen is a mixed 50/50 new and old and Ikebukuro is very much an entertainment/shopping area.

As for the Toyoko Inn hotels themselves, they are a business hotel chain and if you can live with some of the rules, are a cheap option, often in good locations as far as public transport is concerned. You are required to be out of your room by 10.00 and not expected to return until 15.00-16.00. You can request to return earlier, and if you don't have your room cleaned there's usually no problem with an early return. The rooms are clean and very well equipped.

I don't know how long you are in Tokyo for, but changing location might be a good idea. I've often stayed in 3 different locations during my trip (with side trips in between). It gives you the chance to explore different areas of the city.

by RobBeer rate this post as useful

I think I might take ur advice Rob beer 2008/5/21 23:23
and stay in maybe 2 or possibly 3 places and visit certain places when I am staying at the closet hotel/ryokan

Ueno 2008/5/23 01:38
I am having the same problem too when considering my Tokyo accommodation. Oak Hotel at Ueno seems pretty ideal in terms of price; 8500 yen for Twin room. http://www.oakhotel.co.jp/english/
by DeeDee rate this post as useful

Rob beer and dee dee 2008/5/24 21:08
Rob ur hotel of Katusuro is fully booked, havent tried tokyo inn

Dee dee, I might try your place out

SAWANOYA 2008/5/24 23:18
I recommend Sawanoya too. I stayed there in 2004, 2005, 2007, and later this year when I go. I reserved my room already.. 4 months ahead. :) 5000 yen, clean, friendly, free internet. what else can you ask for in Tokyo? Even the TV show, Pilot Guides' Ian Wright stayed there.
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

Sawanoya 2008/5/25 02:00
Plus, they have a 315Y western breakfast (eggs, toast, coffee) and a very nice traditional Japaenese breakfast for 950Y. You just can't beat this place!

Booked sanwanoya Ryokan 2008/5/25 08:25
Thanks guys, I done it now.

Now I have 2 book a place in kyoto and 1 night in mount koya

do they have plug sockets in sawanoya 2008/5/25 08:59
as I just booked there and i REALLY hope they do

reply to this thread