Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student discount on JR? 2008/5/20 04:06
I've read that JR offers a 20% discount on trips 100km or longer for students. I'm a university student traveling to japan to volunteer(but not to study abroad). What do I need to get the discount? Will my current university ID suffice?

Also, on hypderdia, there is a charge next to the fare called ''charge'' and has (reserved seat) next to it. Is this the charge associated with traveling on a shinkansen or limited express?

Thanks in advance
by Michael  

... 2008/5/20 12:25
I've read that JR offers a 20% discount on trips 100km or longer for students. I'm a university student traveling to japan to volunteer(but not to study abroad). What do I need to get the discount? Will my current university ID suffice?

I doubt that your current university ID will suffice. But note that the Japan Rail Pass for foreign tourists is likely the better value than the student discount, anyways:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Also, on hypderdia, there is a charge next to the fare called ''charge'' and has (reserved seat) next to it. Is this the charge associated with traveling on a shinkansen or limited express?

Yes, that is right.
by Uji rate this post as useful

About the charge fee 2008/5/20 12:46
There is a basic fare, plus extra charges. The basic fare is based on distance. There are extra charges for faster trains and reserving a seat. If you select "unreserved set" on hyperdia, the remaining "charge" shown is the extra charge for the faster trains. If you select "reserved seat", this will also include a bit more for the (usually optional) seat reservation fee.
by rootles rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/20 15:51
Student Discounts apply to students studying in Japan at schools with arrangements to offer discounts with the railway company.

Usually it requires a specific certificate from the school (in Japan) and filling out paperwork at the station commuter office.

For students not studying at a school in Japan, student discounts don't apply.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread