Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto 2008/5/20 13:13
I'm thinking of doing day trips from Tokyo to Osaka.
I'll be staying in Tokyo and I'm interested in visiting Kyoto, Universal Studios in Osaka and maybe the Namba area in downtown Osaka.

My plan is actually to take the bullet train and this is my plan:-
Day 1- Kyoto
Day 2- Universal Studio
Day 3- Namba

I understand that I will be spending at least an average of 6hours daily on transport.
I like to get some input on if this is advisable and does it sound crazy to travel from Tokyo to Osaka every day?
by Funshine  

oneday return travel 2008/5/20 17:52
A.) You come to Japan as a temporary visitor:
Buy 7 day JR Rail Pass first in your home country for Yen 28300, will cover travel all three days.
B.) Not a visitor: You will need 28 000 Yen every day for the shinkansen rides.
Tokyo - ShinOsaka is 3 hours by hikari shinkansen or 2 hours 30 min by nozomi shinkansen, Kyoto 15 min less. It is not crazy, many Japanese business men do such oneday return travel frequently and for a tourist it gives you a sightseeing day between around 09.45 h to 18.30 h for Kyoto.
by Peter rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/20 18:01
If you have arranged accommodation in Tokyo for the three days, can't you cancel it now and make another reservation in Kansai?

My impression is that making 3 day trips consecutively between Tokyo and Osaka sounds way too exhausting and time-consuming.

I might suggest you to revise your current itinerary.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

same trip 2008/5/20 19:46
Im also doing a similar trip to yours funshine, ill be in tokyo in june and im taking a 3 day side trip to kyoto/osaka as well but if you're thinking of travelling back and forth i would say forget it.

just stay in a cheap hostel in kyoto/osaka, there are some good ones there. and buy a JR rail pass for it cause even when you go back into tokyo you can use it on the JR Yamanote line.
by Chino Christomni rate this post as useful

reply to this thread