Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

age limit on teaching english in japan? 2008/5/21 06:38

I am a Kiwi currently living in Brisbane Australia and am about to undertake the tesol course by correspondence so that i might be able to work in japan teaching english,is there an age limit in respect to this?(as far as work visas go and that sort of thing?)
by soundboy  

visas 2008/5/21 19:17
30 is the age limit for the Working Holiday visa. As long as you meet the requirements for a working visa (Bachelor's degree in something and an employer willing to sponsor you), there is no age limit, although if you are older than about mid-40s you might find it a bit harder to get a job, although not impossible.

Have a look at the Japan Branch of www.eslcafe.com, especially the FAQs, for loads of info on teaching in Japan, visas etc. In the questions on that site this topic has come up several times, so scroll back a few pages and see what you find.
by Sira rate this post as useful

working in japan 2008/5/22 04:55
thanks a lot for your help,ive talked to someone from tesol and am going to do the professional
course as i am 32 and it will enable me to work in japan
by soundboy rate this post as useful

You have a degree? 2008/5/22 08:57
Do you have a university degree, Soundboy, or 3 years experience teaching English? If not, then I am afraid that even the professional TESOL will not be enough for a working visa here, regardless of what the TESOL people might have told you.

The basic requirements for a working visa here are a Bachelor's degree (or 3 years' relevant work experience), and an employer who will sponsor you.

Most jobs here don't require TESOL qualifications as the schools prefer to train you in their own methods, so make sure you are actually eligible for a visa before handing your money over.

From this site: "A university degree or considerable professional experience in the applicable field is required to qualify for a working visa. Most types of working visas also require you to have a prospective employer as a sponsor. Residence permission is usually granted in periods of one or three years and is extendable".

If you do have a degree then all you have to do is find a job. You might want to read on eslcafe.com what people have to see about the necessity of TESOL/ TEFL qualifications.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread