Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you translate my tattoo? 2008/5/21 09:41
Yerma says it means vegetable. Is that true?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/burninganubis/l_38808...
by Thurber  

Kewl tattoo 2008/5/21 10:17
Thurber,

Yes, it's a non-standard kanji for "vegetable".
Please be sure to submit it to the Hanzi Smatter site.
http://www.hanzismatter.com/
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

eeek 2008/5/21 10:56
ya dave is right. it is a uncommon kanji for vegetable, or side dish, not exactly the same, but it is close. here is the kanji of what i think you have 菜

i dont know if you can make it out, i dont know what else it could be.
by guru rate this post as useful

forgot to ask 2008/5/21 11:03
what did you think it meant? maybe your artist was close. so if you tell me i probably will know the kanji for it. and he can just touch it up if its close
by guru rate this post as useful

no meaing in Japanese 2008/5/21 12:34
It's a beautiful version of the letter in which the Japanese would typically read "sai" representing the meaning "leaf" especially "vegetable leaf". But this letter alone doesn't mean anything as a word in the Japanese language.

Perhaps the Chinese might have a different interpretation. Chinese and Japanese are totally different languages, you know.
by Uco, Japanese resident rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/21 14:23
It means "dish" also in Japanese or Chinese.
by Hiro rate this post as useful

dish 2008/5/21 16:00
It means "dish" also in Japanese or Chinese.
Ah right, I know that "dish" is American slang for an attractive girl (She's a dish!) and it looks like somebody opened a dictionary and assumed languages can be translated one on one. ^_^;;
by Kappa rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/22 02:09
Being an American, I have never heard the term ''dish'' used to represent a girl. I would doubt anyone that wasnt in WWII would know what that was referring to, granted they could even read it.

Luckily you can just lie and tell people it means something cooler then it really does, they will never know.
by MP rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/22 09:08
In any case, it's food related, usually found in compounds meaning some kind of vegetable. Were you told it meant something else, Thurber?
by Sira rate this post as useful

Can you translate this tattoo? 2008/12/13 13:51
I don't even know where to start! I would appreciate ANY help I can get. Thank you so much!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F2jdZ6nmra0/SMbTJ1qLiOI/AAAAAAAAA8...
by Don rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/13 14:10
Don,
The top looks like 愛 "love," but then below I definitely see a 友 "friend" character. Maybe an attempted "love" with a few strokes missing?
by AK rate this post as useful

probably "ai" 2008/12/13 14:27
Someone who has no idea what the character should like like has done this one- either very carelessly copied from an actual character or a tattoo "template" that has been copied many times and become kind of garbled.

I agree with Uco that it is a badly written 愛, the character meaning "love".

Don 2008/12/13 17:41
I think Sira meant to write "AK" instead of "Uco."

Don, could it be a Chinese or any other way of writing a symbol? I don't think this figure exists in Japanese. But it doesn't really seem like a bad handwriting. It's not crooked or anything.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Oops 2008/12/13 22:00
Sorry Uco and AK, I think I was looking at one of Uco's posts somewhere just before...

Not completely incorrect 2008/12/13 22:23
While the character for "love" is written as 愛 in Japanese, the simplified character in Mainland China is now 爱. So, it is a readable and legitimate character in Chinese, but not in Japanese.
by Jeemusu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread