Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

in-room LAN connections with laptop 2008/5/21 23:03
Hi Folks!

I need to ask a question of your collective knowledge.

I am considering taking an ASUS laptop to Japan with me (its super tiny : ) (and Australian model, too).

My question is, can I just plug into any in-room LAN connection and the internet will work? Do you have to configure anything on computers for that? I don't have much experience with these things and I'm not very well going to take the computer sightseeing, I need it to be useful if I'm taking it overseas!

Thanks guys, your help is always so valuable.
by R.  

Yeah... 2008/5/22 12:03
You can plug in the lan cable and be fine, but they might not be available everywhere.

Trust me, you won't need to, you can get wireless internet just about anywhere in Japan, it's pretty awesome.
Does your laptop have wireless?

Also, make sure your laptop will work over there, Australia is 240 volts, and Japans only 110 volts, so if it runs out of juice you might be out of luck hehe.

I recomend leaving the laptop behind, most accomodation places offer free internet and computer usage, and internet cafes are extremely cheap.

Just to save on flight weight that is :p
by Shidesha rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/22 13:32
An Eee? I took one to Japan a couple months ago. I actually managed to shove it into my cargo pants pocket :)

Wireless is the better option, but yes, LAN is just 'plug and play'.
by ... rate this post as useful

Yes it's an Eee 2008/5/22 15:43
Yes I would be taking the Eee. Do you have the Linux or the XP OS?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm considering buying one, if it's not worth taking I'll save it until after my trip.
by R. rate this post as useful

Wireless LAN 2008/5/22 15:51
R,

I would disagree with what Shidesha wrote. While wifi is quite widespread, *free* wireless LAN spots are few and far between, so bear this in mind.
A large percentage of decent hotels offer LAN connections these days.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/9 11:46
While wifi is quite widespread, *free* wireless LAN spots are few and far between, so bear this in mind.
A large percentage of decent hotels offer LAN connections these days.

I'd have to agree with dave on this. Also want to mention that western branded hotels may charge a per day internet usage fee, while ryokan and minshuku typically don't have any internet service.

As for electricity, virtually all laptops are supplied with universal transformers (the black plastic brick on the power cord), so it should work with a simple plug adapter. Just to verify check that it accepts 100-240 volts input which will be listed in the specs or on the actual plastic brick.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks guys! 2008/6/9 12:16
This has to be the best online community, everyone is really helpful.

Thanks again to all of you.

: )
by R. rate this post as useful

Laptop is useful 2008/6/9 23:49
I always bring a laptop with me to Japan. High speed internet is almost always available free in my room. I find the laptop useful when I need to change plans, check train schedules and confirm flight and seats.
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/10 01:32
Normally check near the power outlets on top of the desk that's in the room for a cat5 outlet. If you don't see a cat5 cable around, ask the front desk for one.

Once there was no cat5 outlet but I knew the hotel had free internet. When I asked the front desk, I was given a plastic box with a bunch of cables and a modem so I could hook it up to the phone line myself.

Another time, I was given a usb device so I could connect wirelessly.
by Keitm rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/10 03:16
Another thing to remember is most US laptop chargers have a 3-pronged plug, Japan does not have 3-pronged outlets.

Buy an adapter before you leave.
by HawaiiLS rate this post as useful

Liux 2008/6/10 09:34
Hey.

I use the Linux OS, but I switched the Xandros out for Ubuntu, since I'm an Ubuntu fan
:)
by ... rate this post as useful

reply to this thread