Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

first time in Tokyo 2008/5/22 05:29
ill be in tokyo this summer for 2 months and i want to knwo if $1500 for month is enough for living in there? i need to pay for everything like lodge, food, trans, drinks
by wmvhomes  

dont think so. 2008/5/22 09:59
I assume you mean $1500 a month.

NO, I would say you fall short, it your including travel and misc. expensives.

You would have to stay at a capsule hotel the entire time, which isnt bad for a few days, but 2 months is really insane.
Even then some the capsule hotels would exceed your daily allowance on the $1500/mo. allowance, when food and travel is included.

I would say the least amount would be around $75 a day($2250/mo.)

The cheapest and realistic plan I could come up with.

$40 bucks for a capsule hotel
$20 for a day's food
$15 travel and min. misc. expensive.

If you drop your trip down to just 1 month, then you could have a great time by using the 2nd month's allowance and stay in some proper places, and buy some entertainment.
by Kuro rate this post as useful

My Exp 2008/5/22 10:12
I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo and nearly spent double of what you had. Yes i went out most nights and i travled around alot but thats what the whole point of going to japan is all bout. Experience.
Id hate for you to go over there with so lilttle money and then not enjoy your self and never go back.

If you want to do it on the cheap you can. japan is not that expensive if you dont want it to be.

Try looking at small hut places to stay. I did this for a week and it was a 2 bdmr place in osaka cost me just under $300 a week inc dinna with the family that owned the place. (was awsome)

You will also be walking around alot which means you wont get the best of Japan you need to get on a train and move around depending on where you are staying in Tokyo.
If your young you will want to go out at night and this isnt too cheap.
by 89VIP rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/22 12:00
Okay, take this for what it's worth, it may not work for you.

I spent 4 weeks in Tokyo on $1300. It was NOT easy, but I have spent long durations in poor parts of India living off rice and sleeping in a tent, so I'm used to roughing it.

I spent $500 on a very small room I found in the outskirts of Tokyo.

I spent $400 on food, which came to about $4 a meal - not a lot of food by any means, there were times I was very hungry and wished I had more money so I could actually go to a resturaunt - I ate almost exclusively soup and junk from 7/11's.

I spent about $200 on transportation, and I didn't travel beyond Tokyo. I did a LOT of walking and bike riding.

Finally, I spent about $200 on souvenirs.

Honestly, if I did it again, I'd have cut my trip in half and really enjoyed myself.

If you do go on your budget, then I suggest:

- Booking the cheapest Gaijin room you can find ahead of time. You can find very small ones for about $375 + utilities.

- Purchase food to cook at your gaijin house and store it in your refridgerator.

- Don't expect to buy a lot or do a lot of things that aren't free. Bars and restraunts are out of the question entirely.

by Me rate this post as useful

reply to this thread