Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

backpack or suitcase 2008/5/22 12:50
Hii, I'm traveling to Japan this Summer with a friend. We would be moving around quite a lot (tokyo , yokohama , kyoto , tokyo , sendai etc) and would be changing hostels quite often.

I'm deciding between using a backpack or a small suitcase that I can pull around. I know that Japan is quite a hilly country with lots of slopes, so I'm considering a suitcase so that I won't kill myself carrying my backpack uphill.

However I've also heard that many train stations in Japan have multiple floors and often do not come with escalators and lifts, which means I have to lug my suitcase up all the stairs (which will kill me too lol), which in this case means that a backpack would be better.

Can I ask which you would advice me to bring? Thanks a lot!
by aurry  

back pack 2008/5/22 13:09
I spent 2 weeks in japan traveling all over the place. i had 5 different hotels i stayed at.

I used a back pack with an extra small bag to carry all the importaint things i may need daily on the front of my body a lil sling bag.

my back pack was NEW (i would suggest getting a new one). and it had plenty of room.

most train stations i went to had escelaters or elevators so i didnt have a problem. some didnt but but i had no problems walking up an down them

I woudl suggest bringing as lil amount of clothing as u can. U can always wash them in the sink at your hotel hang them over the shower or put them in front of the window and let them dry..
by 89VIP rate this post as useful

Case for a case... 2008/5/22 13:31
Had 3 weeks travelling there last year and we both used mid size cases with good wheels and found them very good with no escalator or train upper-shelf problems.
by Connie Chiwa rate this post as useful

No problems 2008/5/22 21:23
Had always used suitcases even large 29-inch ones. Never had a problem at train stations which have elevators and escalators. But at small stations in the outskirts, I had to carry them but small price to pay when I can wheel my suitcase most of the time.
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

BACKPACK 2008/5/22 21:34
I'm traveling in Japan right now, I couldn't imagine pulling around a suitcase to all those destinations. A backpack would be your best option and I personnelly think they are easy to travel with. At the hostel I see atleast 25 backpacks to 1 luggage
by KB rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/23 01:11
Why bust your back when you can wheel it, take a suitcase. I just did 5 weeks in Japan with a large suitcase travelling between 15 cities, I had to negociate only two lots of stairs. Have a small backpack for everyday use like carrying your camera, shopping, etc.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Backpack! 2008/5/23 16:14
I know alot of people are saying go go the suitcase, but i say backpack. There are a few reasons for my recommendation:

1. I found it easier to fit into spaces on the shinkansen when travelling between cities.

2. If you have a pull suitcase, the overall weight is often much higher than a backpack, even more so if you are using a rigid shell style. If you are planning on shopping lots, and weight for planes is a consideration, go the back pack.

Just remember, if you have a bad back or mobility difficulties, a back pack will not be appropriate.

If you are buying a new one, consider spending a few extra dollars and get well padded shoulder straps, if you can get one with a zip on day pack, even better! Also, another important thing is the waist strap/clip. The more padded the better. This takes the weight off the shoulders and transfers it into the legs via the hips. Much more comfortable if you have to walk to accomodation.

Hope this helps.

R.
by R. rate this post as useful

tough choice! 2008/5/23 17:37
It seems the advice is split.We travelled for 3 weeks quite extensively with small suitcases on wheels. It was so much easier than the previous time when we used a backpack. As long as it is a small suitcase(overhead locker sized) we had no trouble with storage on trains etc. The only time we experienced any difficulty was with stairs in train stations and this was usually because we didn't allow enough time to locate the lifts and esclators so were in a hurry and had to drag our suitcases down the stairs. As long as you remember that some stations are huge, so require quite an amount of time to get to the appropriate platform you should be okay. Most stations have escalators if you have the time to search them out. Just take as small a suitcase as possible with perhaps a small day pack which can sit on top as you wheel. Also some steep narrow stairs in ryokans would have been a problem with a large suitcase so keep it small and you should bre okay.
by Maree rate this post as useful

reply to this thread