Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen 2008/5/24 15:37
Dear,

I plan to take shinkensen train from Hakata station on 13JUN08 (Saturday morning around 0800h) to Hiroshima. I want to know that I have to buy ticket with the reserved seat or I can buy non reserved seat. If I buy non reserve seat, how I can identify which car is non reserve seat?

Thank you
by Peter  

Shinkansen 2008/5/24 15:47
It says unreserved in English on a small sign on the various wagons. There are about 4-5 unreserved ones in each train. When you are on the platform several signs will show, besides the destination and departure time of the train, the number of the different wagons, the numbers for the unreserved ones etc. you then have to look for corresponding marks on the platform floor. To reserve or not depends on the time of the day and month of the year, whether you have luggage or not. You can pretty much reserve up to 15 minutes before departure but you may not get a seat if there are many travellers that day. Check Japan A-Z at the top of this page, then inside that section: transportation, trains, how to take a train etc.
by Master rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/24 16:10
I plan to take shinkensen train from Hakata station on 13JUN08 (Saturday morning around 0800h) to Hiroshima. I want to know that I have to buy ticket with the reserved seat or I can buy non reserved seat. If I buy non reserve seat, how I can identify which car is non reserve seat?

IMHO, an unreserved ticket would be good enough in your case, because all the Hiroshima bound trains originate at Hakata. You can very likely get a seat if you queue up for the unreserved section on the platform for 10 minutes or so.

Schedules from Hakata to Hiroshima:
Hikari446; 7:39hrs--8:49
Nozomi10; 8:00--9:05
Hikari448; 8:04--9:14
Nozomi12; 8:30--9:36

Price: 8,190 yen ( unreserved regardless of Nozomi or Hikari)
8,900 yen ( reserved on Nozomi)
8,700 yen (reserved on Hikari)

The unreserved carriages are the last 3 ones out of 16 on Nozomi, and the last 3 ones out of 8 on Hikari. This info is well signposted in the station.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Shinkensen 2008/5/24 16:26
Dear Optimistk/Master

Thank you for your quick response. I will have 1 big samsonite suitcase, there is any space to keep on the train if I take unreserve seat.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Please see the link 2008/5/24 16:43

. 2008/5/24 16:57
If your suitcase is too big or heavy to go on the overhead luggage rack, you can place your suitcase behind the last row of seats in the train car.

Regarding reservations, there is a Nozomi train at 08.00 that
arrives 09.05, followed by a slightly slower Hikari Railstar
at 08.04 that arrives at 09.14. Reserved seats on the Hikari Railstar are much bigger than regular Shinkansen seats, more like Green car (1st class) seats. If you are not in a rush (or using a JR Rail Pass, where you cannot use the Nozomi service), you might prefer this option.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Shinkansen 2008/5/24 23:16
It's not the last cars but the first 3 to 5 cars which are unreserved! Also keep in mind that usually car 3 is the smoking car (you don't wanna sit there, even if you are a smoker, hardly any ventilation). The Hikari Railstar is shorter than a regular Hikari (8 cars instead of 16 cars) and very popular because it's almost as fast as a Nozomi but cheaper, so if you really wanna leave around 08:00, make a reservation
by Bert rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/25 00:01
It's not the last cars but the first 3 to 5 cars which are unreserved! Also keep in mind that usually car 3 is the smoking car

Huh? The OP is heading to Hiroshima from Hakata so that the unreserved carriages are located the last three ones direction-wise. Refer to the JR West's notices if in doubt ( all in Japanese).

Nozomi:
Series N700
http://www.jr-odekake.net/train/nozomi_n700/compo.html
Series 700
http://www.jr-odekake.net/train/nozomi_700/compo.html

Hikari Railstar:
http://www.jr-odekake.net/train/railstar_700/compo.html

博多 = Hakata
新大阪 = Shin-Osaka
東京 = Tokyo
自 = Unreserved carriage
指 = Reserved carriage
Clover in green = Green car

I don't think it's worthwhile to make a reservation for a mere one hour ride.

However for your info, I'd give the look of the reserved seats on the Hikari Railstar other people have mentioned above in the link below.
http://www.jr-odekake.net/train/railstar_700/accommo.html
The image on the upper left is the one.

It's up to you whether to take that seat or not.

reply to this thread