Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass for 2 months 2008/5/28 10:01
me and my friend will be going to the kudan institute in tokyo for the summer holiday course (its for 7weeks) and be staying in the dorm about an hour away. i was wondering a couple things...
1)for activities like going to disneyland and kyoto, do we have to pay for the transportation if its by train?
2)should we buy the JR pass or just buy tickets normally everyday to go to and from school and site-seeing/shopping, etc?
3)if so, is there any way to get about a 2 month JR pass or would we buy two, 21day passes?
thanks for your help ^.^
by Jenny  

?? 2008/5/28 12:12
I'm not sure I understand Q1. Are you thinking that you may not have to pay to travel somewhere by train??

As for 2&3, JR passes for 6-7 weeks would cost maybe 150,000 yen. Don't bother. Just get local tickets.

You could get daily tickets, but only if you will be using the trainsd numerous times (perhaps on weekends, for example)
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Q1 2008/5/28 13:18
never mind question 1, the costs for the activities is paid for at the beginning of the course(registration)
by Jenny rate this post as useful

daily commuter pass 2008/5/28 21:34
A 60 min commuting in Tokyo by JR can be around Yen 1000 per way, so you will need 7 days x 7 weeks x 2 travels = 98 000 Yen compared to 2 three weeks and 1 one week JR pass what is 143 700 Yen. BUT can you not get a cheaper monthly commuter ticket for this way, check with the school? Is all the way JR? ( Many lines in Tokyo are non JR, so not to be used by JR Pass ).
by Peter rate this post as useful

Kudan Summer Course 2008/5/28 21:54
Jenny,
I just read the Kudan home page. You make the 7 weeks summer course? Great, that you learn Japanese. The homepage says, that you will being met at Narita Airport on the Saturday arrival day, you will be brought to the dormitory and on Sunday you will be shown how to buy your train pass and how to go to school the next Monday. So no need to buy any JR Passes beforehand, especially as the weekend activities transport is organized by Kudan.
by Peter rate this post as useful

JR commuter pass 2008/5/28 22:36
A monthly JR commuter pass costs about the same as traveling 15 days there and back with single fares. So if you travel the route there and back every day of the month, you get around 15 days free.

So the example above, instead of costing 98,000 yen for 7 weeks, it would cost about 49,000yen.

... 2008/5/29 07:53
A monthly JR commuter pass costs about the same as traveling 15 days there and back with single fares.

I think in case of a 1-month pass it is usually more something like 20 days. Also, it will cover only one specific route rather than a zone.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Suica Card 2008/5/30 00:50
thx for ur replies, since i will be mostly in Tokyo for the 2 months, i probably wont buy the JR pass (that i shouldn't is what im getting out of the replies anyway). on another note, i will be landing in Narita airtport and was wondering if the Suica and NEX package would be a good idea since it works with most subways, trains, etc in tokyo and would be convinient instead of having to always check train fares and having to handle change?
by Jenny rate this post as useful

monthly 2008/5/30 07:41
My monthly pass costs me 6300 yen. For single rides, it's 210 yen, so that 420yen per day.
6300/420 =15 days, not 20 days.

Yes it covers only one route, but if you plan the exact route, you can include most of your destinations on that route.
e.g. My monthly pass goes two stops past my actual stop because it is the same price.

In Jenny's case, she could get a monthly pass from her accommodation to her station, then a couple of stops past. (Even if it means paying slightly more)

For example, if she's staying in Tachikawa(western Tokyo, near Hachioji), it's 540 yen to Ochanomizu (Near Kudan Institute). But if you get a 620 yen ride, but on a monthly pass, you can ride via Shinagawa. In fact, I think the monthly pass based on Tokyo station will allow you to ride all of the southern half of the Yamanote line on that pass.

reply to this thread