Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt. Fuji for Sunrise 2008/5/28 10:33
Hi. I'm planning a trip to Japan for early July. Hiking Mt. Fuji is going to be one of the highlights. My plan is to start hiking from the Kawaguchiko 5th station at around 10 pm and hopefully reach to summit in time for sunrise. Things are easier said than done and I may be underestimating this whole hike. I need advices on the things I should watch out for other than what's already described by this website. By the way, where can I get the bus schedule to the 5th station for July? Thanks in advance.
by stressedout  

9? 2008/5/28 13:25
My research indicates that if you want to beat the crowds to the sunrise, you might want to start hiking around 9. This, of course, depends on your pace. You risk getting there quickly and being cold for an hour or so, but I'd imagine getting a "front row seat" for the sunrise could be attractive.

I'm going in August, so someone more experienced might have a better answer for you.
by Michael rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/28 13:30
The summer timetable of the buses has not been published to the website yet.
by Uji rate this post as useful

FUJI 2008/5/29 02:08
I'm climbing with my 5 friends from 3pm. We dont have any huts because they're all booked out (saturday 26th july) but we will walk up slowly. We plan to walk really slowly and leisurely. But we will stop around the 8th station in a hut and wait till maybe around 12am and push slowly for the summit. We can't sleep in the hut, but you can buy stuff and eat and you can stay in there for 45 minutes.. and then buy more stuff after that 45 minutes, or you could always move to another hut. There are also huts at the summit for the same purpose.
by Jun 33 rate this post as useful

More questions oneigai 2008/5/29 04:24
Thank you very much for your replies. Questions: 1) are the huts open 24 hr? 2) where will I find a timetable for July (when it's posted)? Hiking in the dark is something that I've never done. Any pointers?
by stressedout rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/29 07:51
are the huts open 24 hr?

Yes.

where will I find a timetable for July (when it's posted)?

Here:
http://www.fujikyu.co.jp/bus/highway/time.html

Hiking in the dark is something that I've never done. Any pointers?

Bring a flashlamp. Ones that you can tie around your head leave both your hands free:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Night climb 2008/5/30 08:15
Also, you dont want to start too late.. because then it is like a long queue up the mountain, especially if you go on a weekend. Go earlier, climb up a little and continue for the summit later.
by mikeqqjones rate this post as useful

reply to this thread