Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing flight reservation? 2008/5/29 01:30
Hi, I was wondering what should I say in Japanese if I would like to change the date of a flight? For example "I have this return ticket for the flight on Jun 30, can I change the date to Sept 1?
Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
by Hikari  

English-speaking staff? 2008/5/29 12:45
There should be English-speaking staff available at any airline customer service section in Japan- that would be a lot easier I imagine.
by Sira rate this post as useful

it may be diffcult... 2008/5/30 14:37
well if there's no english speaking staff, or maybe you have more of an effort to learn japanese.. you could say:

Rokugatsu sanjuunichi no furaito oufukukippu motterundesuga, hinichi wa hachigatsu tsuitachi ni kawattemo ii desu ka?

(this is the translation of your example.)

by AzN Gyangu rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/5/30 15:14
Thanks all the the responses! Yes, I guess it's gonna make my life easier if there is English-speaking staff in the airline counter, but just in case there is none...
Btw, what does hinichi mean? Does it mean ''date''?
by Hikari rate this post as useful

meitou! 2008/5/30 15:24
yes! =) correct answer.
by AzN Gyangu rate this post as useful

ask for English speaking staff 2008/5/30 19:48
Hikari,

As mentioned, be sure you find an English speaking staff and talk to that person. It won't be difficult to find one, since there is so much time left.

I've accepted flight reservation changes professionally in the past, and let me tell you, if you rely on anonymous internet informations like these, you are likely to get your ticket mis-arranged to a date a month before the date you want it to be.

I don't think that people here give out mis-infos intentionally, but we including myself don't have much responsibility in giving the right answer, so there are a whole bunch of mistakes posted.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Just to add... 2008/5/30 23:22
I agree with Uco-san. With slight corrections, just a suggestion:

Roku-gatsu sanjuu-nichi ni kikoku suru chiketto wo motte imasu ga, hinichi wo hachi-gatsu tsuitachi ni kaete moraemasu ka? (I have a ticket to return home on June 30, but can I have it changed to August 1st?)

Two comments on previous poster's answer that are obviously out of place:
"oufuku kippu" = return ticketS (means the round-trip tickets, not just the return ticket)
"kawatte mo ii desu ka" = (sounds like the date is going to change itself - that's why I'm suggesting the above instead.)
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Just to add... 2008/5/30 23:25
Uco already spotted it, but note that Hikari wants to change her flight to September, not August. Hence the caution about taking advice on web forums at face value. ;-)
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Yeah 2008/5/31 00:01
Again, thanks all for the responses! I just realized the mistakes in date too! Thanks Uco-san and Dave-san. But I really appreciate all the responses from people in this forum!
I asked this question because I'm gonna change the reservation (JAL) through phone, since it is quite difficult to find the airline office in my area. So I was not sure if they also have English-speaking staff on the phone. Anyway, I'm gonna try and ask first.
by Hikari rate this post as useful

don't worry 2008/5/31 17:26
Hikari, when I was in Paris I phoned Korean Airlines and asked "Do you speak English?" in French, and they immediately started talking to me in Japanese.

Airlines really can't risk speaking to people who don't know the language, believe me. Don't worry, they will get you an English speaker over the phone.
by Uco, Japanese rate this post as useful

airline 2008/6/1 04:43
Uco is right. Once I was in Osaka Namba subway station and wanted to know the way to an airline office. That station has something like 26 exits so it is confusing. They have an information office right in that station as even locals get lost. The staff person I spoke to spoke English and she called the airline. After listening to the airline staff while scribbling notes the young lady told me that even with the notes she didn't think that he area, she wasn't sure that she could find the place, but did I really had to go there or would a phone call OK? she called the airline back, I got an English speaking staff, spelled my name (A like alpha, B like bravo or bob..)and within minutes had my flight time confirmed etc.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread