Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to adjust back. 2008/5/30 23:37
How to adjust back?

When a person, who was raised in Southern California as I was, then move to Yokohama/Tokyo for 2 years, and then move back, how does said person adjust back to the life they once knew?

That is the question that I have been griping over for the past 3 months.

My wife and I came back from Japan after working a number of English Club jobs (learned that was a bad idea), and finally able to secure a Design/Mechanical Engineering position in a company based out of Shin-Yokohama. After my contract ran-out my wife and I decided that we wanted to move back to California. The main reason for the move was that we missed California, but all of the typical frustrations of Japanese big city living played a big part of it.

Such as:

- Being stuck in a train at rush-hour. (I lost count of the times that I felt molested by the purse or briefcase of the person behind me. Yeah, that was no fun.)
- When somebody says gShouganaih(For example, when your English Club employer urges you take more hours, but later when itfs payday, does not have enough money that month to pay you. What do they say? They say gShouganaih.)
- The worse for me, the feeling of not upsetting the herd was more important than standing-up for yourself. (I found that this feeling reverberated across many lines of Japanese society. From the haken who was verbally abused by perm-workers, or English teacher who accepted unwarranted and illogical criticism from there students, and even the sweet Oba-chan who was caring grocery bags in a train and was not given a seat by a man who was talking on his cell-phone. Ifm not kidding this happened)

Now donft get me wrong, these were some big issues for me, but overall I loved Japan, and all options it offered for enjoying life.

Though, when we moving back I have found there are ironic annoyances in my current life.

Such as:

- Driving in a car for an hour each way for work, and feeling lonely because you donft have people around you at all times.(I was surprised about this one.)
- Having the saying gShouganiah replaced with gWe canft do anything about ith (I figure the people who say these things accept the problems in life to easily)
- Last, when an overabundance of people protecting their rights, when doing so infringes on the rights of others. (Example: The guy in the apartment below you, who has an out of control party which last until 3:00am. What does he say in a drunken stammer to the police man who arrives at 2:30am? gThis is my apartment, I pay rent, I should do what I want in my apartment.h, he says. Wellc.., what can say about this. Mmmm, gAt least he pays renth.)

So how does one deal with these new irritations? Hence, thatfs why Ifm asking you people.

I suspect the answer lies in how I adapted to my life on Japan. Only if I could remember how I did it.
by Jake  

Time to do a John J Rambo 2008/5/31 13:40
remember you want your country to love you as much as you love it
by Abhi rate this post as useful

talk to people 2008/5/31 17:19
Jake, that's what everyone goes through and to give you a long answer, it's going to take me years.

The short answer is to contact a group of people in similar situations. The city hall might know. Or most Japanese office workers in California experience the same things, so contact them. The Japanese Embassy might be able to give you contact numbers.

Just a tip from someone born in Tokyo, raised in southern California, moved back to Tokyo, moved to Nagoya, then back to Tokyo against parents will to have me go to Europe, and then long story short, now living in Yokohama.

Oh, I have a shorter answer. "You can't have everything." and "It would've been easier if you never knew."
by Uco rate this post as useful

Is ignorance bliss? To heck if I know. 2008/5/31 23:05
Uco

I realize this is common for many people, and it may sound trite but at times ignorance is bliss. An example from my experience is how I viewed Tokyo when I was younger. It always felt like it was a city of adventure, but once you live there long enough your Japanese gets better, you start to get familiar with how to get around the city, and without your knowing the adventure disappears. Itfs sad, but this, I think is the natural state of things.

With that said, one of the main reasons I wrote this question was to show the interesting similarities between Yokohama/Tokyo and Southern California in a humorous way.

I hope I was successful in my attempt.
by Jake rate this post as useful

reply to this thread