Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving to Gotemba 2008/5/31 01:28
I will be driving to Gotemba this weekend. I heard there's an outlet and that's all I have heard of. What's there to do nearby or in the area? Also I got a map from my boss, but I would feel so much more confident if I had actually driving directions. Is there anyway to find out eaxctly how to get from Muira to Gotemba by car?
Thanks!
by kel  

... 2008/5/31 08:31
There are quite a few tourist attractions around Gotemba, including the outlet, Hakone and Mount Fuji.

About Hakone:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

About the outlet:
http://www.premiumoutlets.co.jp/en/gotemba/

As for driving, I am not familiar with Muira. Do you mean Miura? The easiest way would probably be to take National Route 134 and National Route 1 all along the coast and the either drive through Hakone or head north to the Tomei Expressway around Hiratsuka to reach Gotemba IC.
by Uji rate this post as useful

driving to Gotemba 2008/5/31 09:13
you've probably left already but...
I totally recommend the Tomei for getting to Gotemba, I think it's the fastest & least frustrating way to go. From Miura head up to the Yoko-Yoko road (you can go up 134 to the Miura-Jukan toll road, which connects to the Yoko-Yoko road at Kinugasa; it's very easy, but the Miura Jukan will cost you 300 yen, and then the Yoko-Yoko will cost you 900 yen, and then the Tomei from Yokohama/Machida to Gotemba will cost 1900 yen.
On a clear day, the Tomei gives great views of Fuji, but Saturday will rain all day. Sunday is supposed to be sunny.
The trip should take you an hour and a half to two hours, unless there is unexpected traffic.
If you go on Sunday, expect traffic headed back to Tokyo starting about the Atsugi exit from the Tomei.
The Gotemba outlets are well marked and signage is good. You will see the outlets from the Tomei before you actually exit - once you go through the toll booths you'll want to turn left towards Kawaguchiko/Fuji Five Lakes on Rte 138 - but you'll make a right turn before going back under the Tomei, to go towards the outlet.
Confusing point: I think there are two Gotemba exits, both get you to the outlets, but the turns might be different. In either case I don't think it is difficult.
If you have time after outlet shopping you could drive up towards Mt. Fuji, and you could go to Oshino Hakkei or Kawaguchiko. Both are off the Mt Fuji toll road that's up there. Follow Rte 138 towards Kawaguchiko and Fuji Five lakes, and the signs are clear (to me, so be cautious anyway). You could even go up 138 & follow the signs for the Chuo expressway, take that towards Otsuki Junction, and come back via the Chuo Expressway. You'd get off the Chuo at Hachioji and follow Rte 16/Yoko-Yoko road back to Miura. The Chuo can also get backed up in the Tokyo direction Sunday evenings.
Have a nice trip...good luck!
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

...and all the while... 2008/5/31 09:50
...I'm thinking Gotemba Premium is a beer and it's some sort of exotic pub!
Now it's clearer and I've checked the website ,what's the attraction? Is it discount luxury goods or...?
by Connie Chiwa rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/6/3 07:30
Thanks to everyone for their help! We couldn't have a picnic like I planned but we had a great day at the outlets, even though it sprinkled off and on. The view from the Tomei was AWESOME with the clouds all settled around the foot of the mountains! And afterwards we drove to where I used to live in Fuji. It was pretty easy to drive there, just harder on the way back b/c we were both sleepy.But once again, thanks!

Oh Uji, by Miura, I meant Miurakaigan or Miura Pennisula.
by kel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread