Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to use -Might, -May, -Probably 2008/5/31 17:35
First of all, I'd like to ask, what are the common Japanese words for these? I have a dictionary, but I just want to be sure I'm using the right words and I want to learn how to really use them in my sentences.

WORDS:
-Might, -May, -Probably

DESIRED SENTENCES:
I ''may'' be a bad person to you.
You might hate me for it.

Thank you very much for the help!
by SayoNatchi  

Two choices 2008/6/1 01:43
I think both of those sentences are ones that need more than direct translation to convey the correct meaning.

To answer your question, the two most common are tabun and kamoshiremasen. Generally, begin a sentence with tabun or end it with kamoshiremasen.

I don't know how familiar you are with Japanese, but kamoshiremasen can also be said as kamoshirenai or kamo, in descending order of formality. Tabun doesn't really change.

Hopefully, that helps a little.
by Krafen rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/1 11:30
Without knowing the context, without knowing how "close" you are to that person - meaning how informal you speak with that person - and without knowing the gender, I can suggest to you the following.

I ''may'' be a bad person to you.
- Watashi wa anata ni totte iyana ningen kamoshiremasen/kamoshirenai. (I may be a detestable person to you.)
- Watashi wa anata kara miru to warui ningen ni mieru kamoshiremasen/kamoshirenai. (I may look like a bad person from your perspective - almost suggesting that "in truth I am not.")

You might hate me for it.
- Sono sei de watashi wo kirau kamoshiremasen/kamoshirenai.
("sono sei de" means "for that reason" - I am not sure how else to put it.)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread