Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting Carded at Bars 2008/6/1 08:43
So I've heard mixed things about how strongly Japanese drinking laws are enforced. I recently arrived in Japan and plan on going to bars/nightclubs soon. I am 20 (the legal drinking age) but I am wondering if I will get carded going into bars and if they will accept my Texas ID or will I need to carry my passport with me. Id rather not be carrying my passport while drinking. Thanks in advance.
by Zander  

. 2008/6/1 12:39
Japanese laws require all foreigners who are not registered residents to carry their passports on them at all times.

by John rate this post as useful

Carded? 2008/6/2 23:58
I've never heard of someone getting carded.
by Juputer Rising rate this post as useful

Carded? Are you kidding me? 2008/6/3 00:19
Hey don't want to sound too blunt, but dude, you'll NEVER get carded in Japan. I was not carded ONCE when I was partying in Japan. You can buy cigarettes and beer from vendig machines on the street if thats an indication of the Japanese attitude towards drinking =)
by T rate this post as useful

Never carded yet... 2008/6/3 02:25
Haha, when I first got to Japan, I always checked to make sure I had my ID out of habit before going drinking since I was carded so often back home, but I've never once been asked to show ID at any bars/izakayas/etc here. So I don't think it's something to worry about (but you should still take your passport with you everywhere while travelling around Japan as Police/various security people could potentially ask for it).
by AmsR rate this post as useful

me neither! 2008/6/3 06:53
I'm a young looking 22y.o.- never been carded in Japan in concerts, bars buying smokes or alcohol (even at the combini).

A bit of topic, but I found this interesting, on the subject of legal age etc...
http://www.gadling.com/2008/05/14/big-in-japan-new-cigarette...
by R. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread