Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Abou to lose sofa status 2008/6/3 03:22
I'm currently living on base with sofa status, but my husband got orders to korea and hopefully will return to the same base as a follow on. For the time he is in Korea, I will not be sofa eligible, can someone help point me in the direction to establish temporary residency, set up a post office box ( I hope to get special consideration to reside on base) get a license and so forth. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
by deenainoki  

about to loose 2008/6/3 12:25
the most likely people to ask are the human resources(or whatever they are called in the US Army)on the base itself. They have the latest info.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

losing SOFA status 2008/6/3 16:12
I assume you are a U.S. citizen...I agree with the advice above but I just would recommend that you act as quickly as possible to get all the correct information (in addition to the Human Resources people I would go to the legal advisors on your base). My understanding is that without sofa status you will have absolutely no legal standing in Japan unless you have a job and have a visa sponsored through your place of employment. You can't just 'live' in Japan.
If you were on a Navy base I would say that there would be no chance of staying in housing without sofa status, but I don't know about the other services. But you do need to make sure you have your ducks in a row, and early.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

reply to this thread