Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Minor alone in Japan 2008/6/4 06:15
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if there were problems for a minor to travel alone in Japan. I am 18 years old, therefore I have reached the age of majority where I live (Canada), but it being 20 in Japan, I will still be a minor there. My sister lives there, but she will not be traveling with me and I will be alone for most of the trip. Also, I was wondering how much japanese I should learn, considering that I plan to stick to big cities since english is more common there. Finally, I would like to know which cities I should visit. I plan to buy a 3 weeks rail pass and I will go to Tokyo and Kyoto for sure, but I am not sure which other cities I will go to.

Thanks
by jerome_bc  

I don't think it will be a big problem. 2008/6/4 12:22
If I had the money, I would go tommorow, and I'm only 16. I think it really depends on you're maturity, and how you look. if you look older I don't think many people will ask questions. I'm also interested in seeing what people say about a minor going into Japan on their own, because I plan to within the next 2 years after my spring trip.
by AEC149 rate this post as useful

What's the rush? 2008/6/4 18:35
I certainly wouldn't advise you to go Japan by yourself at age 18 if you don't know the language well enough. Even in the big cities, most Japanese folks don't speak good English and from my experiences (and I live in Tokyo), a lot of people just aren't kind enough to stop and ask for directions.

Go find a buddy to visit Japan with, it'll make your trip so much more fun and enjoyable.

As for cities to visit, any city offers its own specialities and you should visit a few of them. I think it's a great place to visit.
by Jim rate this post as useful

reply to Jerome 2008/6/4 19:29
Hi Jerome, I went to Tokyo last year with my 2 teenagers for the first time, not knowing any Japanese language, We had a wonderful time, found people very helpful when we got lost, and found it very easy to get around once we got our bearings. There are heaps of English signs in Tokyo especially on the trains, just make sure you have a map and subway map with you. My 19 year old son loved Tokyo. Maybe try to learn a few phrases before you go too. Go for it!
by Anne rate this post as useful

hello 2008/6/4 20:36
hello, i am 18 years old too from Italy and i've been looking for a travel companion of my age for ages!
I am willing to visit Japan too, i prefer big cities (mainly Tokyo). Please contact me at ricky_japan90@yahoo.it
maybe we can arrange to go together =)
btw, you going this Summer right?
see ya
by Ricky italy rate this post as useful

DonLt worry at all 2008/6/4 20:36
You shouldnLt worry about being 18; you can do it, just donLt try to get into the clubs at night :)
You donLt have to learn lots of japanese, just common sense and a few basic sentences will do. Anyway, the more japanese you learn the more you will enjoy your travel. Let me suggest you Hiroshima and Fuji Five Lakes -if you like amusement parks go to Fuji Q!!, I went alone and it was amazing even going with no friends-in your travel plan.
by Aerond rate this post as useful

Minor 2008/6/5 03:16
Age is much less of problem than being used--or not--to big cities.PLUS 18 is the age when one can work, marry,vote, go to war..no longer really a minor..I went to Paris for the first time at 14 with a group of senior citizens from my grandma village. A couple of teens and I, all used to big cities--though smaller then Paris-- actually took charge of the group, especially in the metro (subway) and the restaurants. In the evening the old timers went to bed early and we teens each went out on our own until midnight ..So if you are 18 and have some knowledge of using subways,trains etc. and are used to crowds you will do just fine.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

re: Minor alone 2008/6/5 07:08
I live in a medium sized city; I'm used to taking the bus, but I've never taken the subway. I've been in Germany during three months, though, and I used the train many times there. From what I've heard from my parents it works similarly in both countries. Also, I barely spoke german, so I know the difficulties of the language barrier. I don't think this is going to be a big problem. I am currently learning basic japanese in case of an emergency, or, say, to get directions or order in a restaurant where nobody speaks english. I was more worried about getting a visa, renting rooms, and such.
by jerome_bc rate this post as useful

no problem, but up to you 2008/6/5 14:36
I agree with Red Frog, and it also is about how much one can cope with foreign language culture rather than age.

18 is not really a minor. Even in Japan, the only things you're not allowed to do until you're 20 are smoking and drinking alcohol. That's it. Even those two are "tolerated" once you're 18 and out of high school.

Ever since I was 18, I've always loved traveling alone to countries where they don't speak my language. I'd buy a tiny phrase book at the airport or touristical spots and simply show a phrase whenever I need to. I might memorise "thank you" and "sorry" though. I've even made police reports and reservation complaints without having to speak the language. You can use gestures and draw pictures. Otherwise, phone numbers for your embassy and insurance company are all you need upon emergencies.

Note that if you obviously look young, you may be asked to show your ID in various places in the evening in Japan, but you won't get in trouble for that.
by Uco rate this post as useful

heh fellow canadian! 2008/6/5 15:01
Glad to hear that you have some travel experience! Many restaurants have 3D realistic models of their dishes in their window, along with the prices, so you will not starve. I don't speak Japanese and never had a problem renting a room in small hotels. Quite a few places have enough signs in English to show which way to go etc. JR and other railway companies have station names in English. If you haven't yet, be sure to check at the top of this site Japan A-Z. There is a lot of very useful info.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Why not? 2008/6/5 16:26
I was last summer in Tokyo for six weeks on my own. I was at the moment 17 and didn't see any problem in travelling there. The signs in train and metro stations are also in English so getting around with them is most likely easy. The people were very nice and helpful to me (when I was lost somewhere one lady just stopped and asked if I needed help). In many (some) restaurants there are either plastic foods or menus with pictures so you can order just pointing at the menu. Also you can point at some other's meal to get a similar. These things worked for me quite well.

I'd say you visit some big cities and smaller ones too. I spent most of the time in Tokyo but I would have liked to go to other cities and towns too as they are quite different. I'd say you could visit Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone and Lake Kawaguchi (you can see Fuji-san if the weather is right, I didn't). Check the forums, Wikipedia, google for stuff etc. I wish you a nice trip to Japan.
by Kaaleppi rate this post as useful

A fellow Canadian 2008/6/6 01:30
Jerome, I am from Canada as well, I`m 19 and have travelled on my own for almost a month, if you have any questions email me at forgotten888@hotmail.com
You can do it dont worry, 18 isnt so bad, the people here are very friendly.
by Rob in Tokyo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread