Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

G8 Summit 2008/6/12 10:27
My friends and I are travelling through Hokkaido in July - and it just happens to be when the G8 Summit is on. We were actually hoping to go to Lake Toya on one of the main Summit days, but are now not sure whether or not that will be possible.

I know for other similar Summits, they basically shut down the whole area for security reasons, and whilst we don't want to run into any trouble, or be mistaken for protesters (we're gaijin!), we would really like to go see the Lake Toya area.

Though, as we'll be staying in Sapporo, we don't want to make the journey to Lake Toya only to be told that there's no access because of the Summit.

Anybody have any ideas if this will be a problem for us touring in that area? Cheers.
by Starr  

... 2008/6/12 10:48
The main venue of the summit, the Windsor Hotel on top of a mountain overlooking Lake Toya, will be closed to regular customers from July 1 to 10 and will be sealed off from the rest of the world for security reasons.

But the nearby hotels around Toyako Onsen should be operating as usual, although I imagine, that they could be fully booked by members of the press and other people related to the summit. While access to the town and lake is also provided during the summit, there will occur temporary road closures due to security precautions surrounding the arrival of the various politicians. And then, there is the risk of demonstrations, but I don't think this is actually going to happen at Lake Toya itself, if at all anywhere in Japan. At least, this wasn't a problem back in 2000 in Okinawa.

So, first I would check with hotels and see whether there are rooms available. If rooms are available and you do not mind the small risk factor in
encountering complications, then why not. I imagine it could be quite interesting.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Lake Toya 2008/6/12 13:14
HI
I was part of a Japanese tour
group last Oct and we visited Lake Toya. Beautiful lake
and area and the hotel mentioned is really on the skyline alright.
Can anyone tell me why I saw
no real wildlife on the lake
like ducks and geese?. Know the weather was changing and it was cold as during the fireworks display after dark
but the lack of birds surprised me. Oh there are some lovely hotel on the lake front to and it reminded me of
Lake Taupo here in NZ.
Kiwi
by Kiwi rate this post as useful

G8 Summit 2008/6/12 13:29
Cheers Uji - thanks for your answer.
Actually, we're staying in Sapporo and planning on making the trip to Toya as a day-trip, leaving Sapporo early in the morning and returning late in the evening (I hear there are fireworks in the evening during summer!) So securing accommodation is not really an issue for us.

Just wanted to make sure we wouldn't arrive to barricades and security guards. We'll be sure to leave our inflammatory T-Shirts and riot gear at home for that day trip! ;)

by Starr rate this post as useful

G8 Summit 2008/6/12 13:30
... oh, and we're travelling by train, so road closures also should not affect us. I hope.
by Starr rate this post as useful

Security checks in Narita 2008/7/3 23:39
I'll arrive in Japan on 9th July (Narita Airport), which is the last day of the Summit. I just saw in news that quite high security measures in Tokyo has started already. Are controls or whatever in immigration procedure tightened or can there be any problems because of this? I'm 18 and am going there for studies, so I guess they won't bother too much, but anyway...面倒くさそうだ。

Thanks!
by .Den rate this post as useful

Foreigeingers get bullied by police. 2008/7/4 20:17
I am cycling around Hokkaido and because of the G8 Summit i planned my route so that i am far away from Lake Toya and Sapporo when the summit takes place. I cycled from Wakkanai to Abashiri the last days and 2 times a police car stopped me.
They ask my passport and questioned me where i go where i come from. The second time they ask me if i have long knifes and i had to unpack my bike bags on the middle of the street. Seeing the police men checking everything down to my underwear. Then they called and told me an English speaking Officer will come soon. Yeah shortly a black civil car appeared 2 guys in Riot police overall jumped out and showing me there police batches. Luckily there are older high ranking officer and got it very fast that i am just a tourist cycling around to see the nice countryside. This happend in MOMBETSU hundreds of km away from the summit city. I feel very uncomfortable with the police controls. Even at the ferry port in Tomakomai i was approached by a man in business suit asking me a lot of questions. I thought he want to cheat my money before he showed me a his police batch. First i thought his batch was fake before another officer also in civil came with the same batch. They question me a lot and write all down as well with my passport details. I am German That means they pick all Western looking people just from the street. And ask them if they have long knifes and the summit have not even started. Of course in all campsites and hotels and they copies my passport and guess they will sent the data to the police. Security is good but it is not necessary to see all foreigners as potential terrorists.
by Chris rate this post as useful

reply to this thread