Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Current sismic risks in Japan? 2008/6/14 19:11
Hello,

I was planning to visit Japan this summer, when I learned a few hours ago about the terrible earthquake in Iwate. Knowing that it doesn't seem uncommon for a second one to happen shortly after (within weeks), I was wondering if my trip was still safe. The places closest to Iwate where I'm going are Nikko or Nagano, so I don't think there is any risk at all. But I would appreciate the opinion of someone who knows better :).
by Jean  

... 2008/6/14 21:17
It is a safe/risky as always. Even if you were in Iwate during today's earthquake it is highly unlikely that you would have been hurt.

Knowing that it doesn't seem uncommon for a second one to happen shortly after (within weeks), I was wondering if my trip was still safe.

It is common for a second strong one to follow within hours or at most some days, but it is not very common for strong ones to follow after several week, I believe. In case of today's earthquake, the main one occurred at 8:43, and a second strongest one at 9:20. There might be some more strong ones over the next few days, but I think it is unlikely that another strong one will occur in the same region in a few weeks from now.

The places closest to Iwate where I'm going are Nikko or Nagano, so I don't think there is any risk at all.

Indeed, these places are several hundred kilometers from Iwate.
by Uji rate this post as useful

at randam 2008/6/14 21:54
Earthquakes occur in Japan almost at randam. So how risky it is to travel is almost the same whenever you visit it. :D
by ... rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/14 23:03
Considering earthquakes can happen at any time (earthquakes happen all the time, its just the big ones that get the news attention), your no more at risk if you went today or if you went 10 years from now.
by John rate this post as useful

Iwate quake won't affect you 2008/6/15 07:49
The after shocks are always localised, meaning they happen in the same place as the first large earthquake. Iwate/ Miyagi have been having lots of aftershocks but here in Tokyo we only felt the first one (and that only as a gentle swaying really).

If you are not arriving for a few weeks, the after shocks don't usually continue that long, and they are of no concern to you if you aren't going to Tohoku anyway.

As above, there could be an earthquake in the area you visit while you are here, but that would not be related to the Iwate earthquake and is just a risk you take any time you decide to visit Japan.

Think of those of us who live here, we live with the knowledge that the next "big one" could hit the area we live today, next week, 10 years from now or 50 years from now!
by SHU rate this post as useful

prepare rather than fear 2008/6/15 14:21
As implied, it is silly to assume that a large earthquake will not follow immediately and then say that you're visiting places that are far away from the second. Surely earthquakes may not follow in Iwate, but there are always risks of having them occur at any other place in the Pacific coast instead, including China and California.

It is also useless to ask whether or not you should prevent visiting places that had earthquakes when people have built cities there for centuries. If it is so risky, the locals would have fled long ago.

What the locals do is to always "prepare" for disasters. When you check in to your hotel, be sure to check the emergency exit. If you plan to stay longer, keep an eye on signs that show you where you can assemble in case of disasters. If you plan to live here and therefore unfold your luggage, be sure to keep an emergency package near the exist of your home. All these precausions apply to any kind of disaster including fire or flood. The conceirge at your hotel will be more than happy to tell you more details.

Have fun in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Akita-ken 2008/6/15 15:28
I was in Akita at the train station yesterday when the eartquake started. I never had experienced one before and at first I thought the rumbling noise was from a train passing by with high speed. After several seconds I understood. What surprised me was that all locals kept calm, so I thought if they do not panic or run why should I? In Akita the strenght was 5 at Richters scale, so not as strong as in Iwate but still a biggie, hotels and other high buildings were shaking visible.

I think the advise of having (some) luggage nearby and checking everywhere for the nearest emergency exit is the best advise you can get.
by Trudy rate this post as useful

seismic problems 2008/6/15 15:38
Earthquakes are nothing to make fun of but let's be realistic. What about huge floods, like those happening right now in the USA and a few weeks back in Europe. What about Hurricanes, tornadoes and wild fires happening frequently in various parts of the world? life got to go on and que sera sera!
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/6/15 17:14
Thank you all for your answers,

I agree that there are many other things way more risky than this. However, I did not know what to expect regarding earthquakes. I am now aware of the "risk", and hope to spend an enjoyable stay there.

Thank you all for your experiences.
by Jean rate this post as useful

reply to this thread