Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haafu bullying? 2008/6/15 15:08
My Japanese boyfriend and I are getting serious to the point where we want to pinpoint whether we're heading towards America or Japan after school. We wouldn't be getting married for several years, but we both agree that he should have an established career (he graduates before me) in the country that we finally decide on. We are almost completely set on Japan, but the one thing that worries me and keeps me from making a solid decision is the bullying in Japan.

I've heard from both the internet and personal sources (like my boyfriend and other friends) that the bullying can be really horrible in Japan. I'm a bit worried that in the future when we have kids that ours would be targeted for being half American.

Also, he grew up in rural Kyushu which is where he'd prefer to live. I also prefer this to the city. However, since it's not a city, foreigners and haafu are even more of a rarity. Would this make a haafu child even more of a target? If they grow up in Japan, we'd both prefer for them to go to a Japanese school (for obvious social reasons), but in an emergency situation would there be a private school for American/foreign children anywhere around?

I know I'm thinking pretty far ahead but financially it's best for us to decide which country now and as someone who was bullied a bit in grade school herself, I want to make a thoughtful decision and make sure I'm not setting up my future children for years of bullying.
by Kim  

helpful sites 2008/6/16 00:15
Being a mother of a 16 year old, I feel that issues on bullying has been exaggerated over the years. Surely bullying exists (I was bullied too), and the media has helped kids "come out" while in the past some may had been hesitant to speak up. But it also have led people to be overly sensitive on the issue. Long story short, my son has been attending ordinary local schools in Greater Tokyo and two of his best friends who happen to be half foreign (by Southeast Asian mom and East European mom) and they both have been achieving top grades and are very popular. I also know a girl who has an English family name and looks half Caucasian and is currently on the board of her high school student council and this school is not an international school.

So I wouldn't worry about the bullying just because the child is haafu or in other words double. However there are plenty of other issues that are unique to half foreign children. And yet, issues exist all around the world. The following two websites may be helpful in learning about the issues you may face if you choose to live in Japan with a foreign issue.

A well-balanced website run by a half German gentleman in Japan:
http://www.kreuzungsstelle.com/index-en.html

An informative website for foreign families in Japan:
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/8/8.html?F...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Kyushu? 2008/6/26 10:54
Dont mean any offense here, but your boyfriend is expecting to establish a career in rural Kyushu?

I am by no means an expert on Japan, and I don't care for Japanese cities that much either, but it seems that most of the ok-paying (for Japan) jobs are in Tokyo, or maybe Osaka.

There is one field I do know about though, so if you or him are going to be software developers, you should seriously consider moving back to the states. The pay here is very low, especially if you are talented, compared to the states.
by Aaron rate this post as useful

reply to this thread