Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Backpacking in Japan 2008/6/15 19:14
Hey guys!

Me and some friends want to go backpacking in Japan as soon as we are done with our studies.
We want to go to Tokyo/Osaka area and will probably stay for about 3-4 weeks during November/December. We are higly interested in Japanese culture and anime and want the best, fullest, most rich experience ever!!

Please reccomend places and things we simply shouldnt miss! (we are also interested in the smaller more rural areas ^^ and festivals!) And any tips on making this trip as cheap as possible would be greatly appreciated!!

*SQUEEEEE* I can't tell you how excited I am!!!!
^______________^
by plushpuppet  

... 2008/6/15 19:57
by Uji rate this post as useful

try wwoof japan 2008/6/16 04:59
try wwoofing. search wwoof japan on google for more info. i wwoofed in aomori and while my experience was not great there are many better opportunities available, and you can't really beat free food and lodging in exchange for a few hours of work.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

whoohoo for wwoofing!!! =D 2008/6/16 05:31
WOW!!! That's awesome! Thanks winterwolf! I didnt even know of wwoofing! XD Do I need to belong to some group? And do I have to work there for a set amount of days or can I like work 2 days here and then another 2 days there??

Also thanks Uji!! I wouldn't have found that on my own XD
by plushpuppet rate this post as useful

re: 2008/6/16 06:11
as for making it cheaper - try couchsurfing.org or hospitalityclub.org

there you can find people who offer a place to stay for night for free. Though it could be hard to find a place for more than 2-3 persons, its still worth checking.

Also i've heard that hitch-hiking in japan is really easy (but again - if there's more than 3 of you, then you can have problems)
by yuen rate this post as useful

KYUSHU region 2008/6/16 08:01
I recommend KYUSHU region where offers you many different kinds of place and experiences that you can enjoy.
Refer to http://www.kyushu-tourist.com
by Masa rate this post as useful

re 2008/6/16 08:31
wwoof in japan:
http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/

all you need to know and more
by yuen rate this post as useful

Colder 2008/6/16 12:12
You also need to be aware that it will be getting a little cold by then, if you plan to be outdoors a lot.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

*bounce bounce* 2008/6/16 16:54
EEEEEP!!! Thanks Yuen!!! Bouncing out of my skin here!! That's a great help! If anyone have done couchsurfing or wwoofing please let me know of your experience ^^ (heh! I also found that site right after I made that post XD i was so eager I had to reply quickly!!)
Hmmm.. We really want to go see Tokyo, Kyushu might be a little far off. How long will it take if you go from say Osaka through to Kyushu region? Because it'll be great to get a glimpse of the country from a train ride *droool*
colder XD does it snow in the Tokyo/Osaka areas?? Coz yeah, being outside is a must!

bring a stroller too 2008/7/12 01:29
regarding backpacking, i was considering of doing backpacking with a literal backpack, but my friend who just went for a trip suggested that it is much more convenient to bring a stroller / carry-on instead of a backpack because the streets in japan are so flat and smooth, so it's very convenient to move around with a stroller. I followed his recommendation and so glad I did!
by r_aussie rate this post as useful

stroler carriers 2008/7/12 01:53
ahahaha! Thanks for the tip! since we are planning on buying many souveneurs a stroller doesnt sound like a bad idea!
Wasnt it a hazzard when moving in crowds tho? and how about taking bags/backpacks/stroler carriers into stores?? is that alowed?!

stroller?? 2008/7/12 09:40
A stroller? In US English that is something you would put a baby or small child in to push them around. I'm guessing you mean a suitcase with wheels?
by ri-hausu rate this post as useful

everyone's got an opinion 2008/7/12 10:23
that's certainly a unique viewpoint. i have traveled a fair bit in japan (mostly the northern area) and having a rolling suitcase sucked big time, having to haul it up and down the stairs at stations, find a spot to put it on the train, etc. A backpack is so much easier. Now whenever I go out I only take my backpack with me.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

strollers and stores 2008/7/12 19:38
hmm.. we are planning on buying many souveniers so maybe a stroller isnt such a bad idea. but i think it'll become a bother when moving in crowds, no? (sounds like sacrifices need to be made in order to buy souveniers XD) how about going into stores with bags?? is that allowed?

3-4 Weeks 2008/7/12 21:43
In 3 to 4 weeks, you can easily make it to (warmer) Kyushu, Shikoku or other destinations if you take full advantage of the Japan Rail Pass and shinkansen (bullet train). You would still have time to visit the Amami or Ryukyuan islands (Okinawa).

Camping is very easy in Japan, if you are adventurous, but it could be cold by December.
by Inago rate this post as useful

reply to this thread