Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kaiseki Meal (Lunch) in Kyoto 2008/6/17 11:03
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (3,500JPY) Kaiseki lunch in Kyoto? Downtown or central would be preferable. Many thanks.
by SB  

. 2008/6/17 11:33
Last summer I had the pleasure of eating at Yuranosuke for lunch. http://www.digistyle-kyoto.com/restaurant/restaurant_e/72_e....

Kaiseki food is very elegant and is a real treat for the average Japanese....it is difficult to find even lunch for 3500 yen. I recall my course being a little over 5000 yen
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/6/17 12:11
Hey, thanks for that. I checked out the website. Do you know what the following meals mean?
Ajino12kagetsu Kyo-Dukush 5,000
     Gionnoaji Miyakodukushi 6,000
     Shokadou Yamasikatenshin 3,500
by SB rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/17 12:41
The combination of living in the US longer than I have lived in Japan has left some of my Japanese language skills mediocre, at least as far as things like this are concerned.

Lunch at this kind of restaurant is not as formal as dinner, and I can tell you that the 'shokadou' course is served in a laquer box and is sort of a high class bento.

Most Japanese don't know what everything is in this sort of cuisine. It is written on a menu and explained, as kaiseki food is not everyday food by any means. It is what is fresh and in season.

Oh- eat to taste in this kind of food, and appreciate it visually- portions are small, and you will most likely be hungry afterwards. You can get some noodles or something from a convenience store to actually fill you up later :-)
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread