Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Rail Pass: Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto 2008/6/18 02:35
Hey guys, I'll be in Japan 07/09-07-26. I'll be staying in Tokyo but I'd like to make it out to Osaka and Kyoto. I'll be buying the 14 day pass (valid date starting 07/13) Have a few questions regarding the Rail pass:

1. Where should I go first, Osaka or Kyoto (Keeping in mind the most efficient route)?

2. Is the Rail Pass valid between Osaka and Kyoto?

3. Do I have to reserve seats on train (economy)?

4. Off topic question here, but 07/21 is Marine Day in Japan, this is a national holiday meaning most people have the day off right?

Thanks for all your help guys!
by T  

Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto 2008/6/18 09:02
T,

I'll be buying the 14 day pass (valid date starting 07/13) Have a few questions regarding the Rail pass:

I presume you have checked the cost of regular train tickets, as a two-week pass won't save you money if you are only travelling between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka during that period.

1. Where should I go first, Osaka or Kyoto (Keeping in mind the most efficient route)?

It just boils down to preference.

2. Is the Rail Pass valid between Osaka and Kyoto?

Yes, on JR lines (shinkansen and local lines).

3. Do I have to reserve seats on train (economy)?

No.

4. Off topic question here, but 07/21 is Marine Day in Japan, this is a national holiday meaning most people have the day off right?

That's right, many people will enjoy a 3-day weekend.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks Dave 2008/6/18 11:14
Good looking out Dave. So I guess the 14 day Rail Pass isn't the most economical choice? Although I will be travelling quite frequently in Tokyo when I return from Osaka and Kyoto.
by T rate this post as useful

How long do you stay in Kansai? 2008/6/18 12:46
Though Kansai(Kyoto & Osaka) have more to offer for tourists than Kanto(Tokyo) does, 7-day JR pass plus other regional railpass/1-day tickets in Tokyo are enough if u stay in Kansai for 7 days or shorter.

In that case, this page will help you to save trasportation expence.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html
by ... rate this post as useful

by... 2008/6/21 01:22
I'll prtty much be spending the majority of my time in Tokyo (Kansai). I'll be living in Tachikawa with my friends. Is the 14 day pass still the logical choice? Also, last time I came to Tokyo, I bought a bus pass from Narita and it took me to (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) the Tachikawa Grand Hotel? I remember being dropped off in front of a convenience store /w the hotel right around the corner. Now, presuming theres a subway station nearby, I could technically use the JR Pass to get from Narita to Tachikawa right?

Osaka 2008/6/21 04:26
T, you wrote that you will spend much of your time in Tokyo (Kansai)?? you meant KANTO didn't you? as other have said buy a 7 days pass for a trip to the Kansai. Osaka and Kyoto are next to one another. 15 minutes away by fast train, 30 minutes by regular train. Nara, Kobe and Himeji are other Kansai towns well worth visiting. Check A-Z at the top of this page. it tells you all about tourism/ sightseing, trains, passes, food etc. in the Kanto buy day passes or single tickets, depending on how often per day you travel.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/21 08:05
T,

The point is whether you stay outside Tokyo for more than 7 days.

I'll prtty much be spending the majority of my time in Tokyo

So my reccomendation is to buy 7 days(nationalwide) Japan Rail Pass for your travel to Kyoto/Osaka or(even Hiroshima) from Tokyo, and other regional rail passes or 1 day/single tickets for the travel around Tokyo from Tachikawa. This comes cheaper.
by Ts rate this post as useful

concrete comparison 2008/6/21 08:17
A
14 day Japan Rail Pass: 45100yen

B
7 day Japan Rail Pass: 28300yen
1 day JR Tokunai Pass(available for JR transportation in central Tokyo): 730yen * 7days
Return ticket from Tachikawa to Nishiogikubo where you can start using JR Tokunai Pass: 580yen * 7days
Total 37470yen

by Ts rate this post as useful

Narita- Tachikawa 2008/6/21 08:23
Yes, you can use the JR pass to get from Narita to Tachikawa. Take the Narita Express to Tokyo station or Shinjuku, then the Chuo Line from either of those to Tachikawa.

Note that the station in Tachikawa is an above-ground, JR train station, not a subway station (the subway doesn't run that far out into the suburbs).

Also the JR pass is not valid on subway lines (Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway are the two companies running the subway lines and they are separate from JR).
by SHU rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/21 13:45
In other words, Japan Rail Pass makes sense economically only if you travel long-distance. And the price of the 7-day Pass is about the same as the return Shinkansen trip between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka, so buy the 7-day one if you are making the roundtrip between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka within a 7-day period.

For traveling "within" Tokyo, or for traveling from Narita to Tokyo, buying single tickets or using something like NEX Suica package comes out cheaper.
by ... rate this post as useful

Awesome answers! 2008/6/24 00:18
Thanks to everyone who replied...you guys seriously went above and beyond. I will definitely get the 7 day pass. To be honest, you guys have helped me out more than the travel agency! Thanks again!

reply to this thread