Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

day trip from Tokyo - Kamakura or Nikko? 2008/6/20 03:30
Which would you recommend as a day trip from Tokyo - Kamakura or Nikko? We're going to Japan in late July, and the day we have earmarked is a weekday.
by ackers  

. 2008/6/20 15:37
Kamakura is a better day trip from Tokyo. It is easy to get to, just take a Yokosuka Line train from Shinagawa Station, and it's about 50 minutes. Nikko is great, but is better suited as a 2 or even 3 day trip.

by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Nikko too 2008/6/20 21:28
Nikko is obviously a bit farther than Kamakura, but easily doable on a day trip (i've been twice, once with the Tobu express direct from Asakusa, once with JR Tohoku shinkansen and chnge at Utsunomiya, a bit longer but free for JR pass).
IMO, Nikko is much more impressive, since it's a quite small town in the wooded mountains, and shrines are absolutely gorgeous, magnificent, and colorful...
Kamakura has a great Buddha and lots of shrines an temples, but the atmosphere is more city-like...
but again, it's only my point-of-view... ^_^
by uhcakip rate this post as useful

where in Tokyo? 2008/6/20 21:34
I think it depends on what part of Tokyo you're departing from. Also, Kamakura is by the sea while Nikko is in the mountains.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/21 04:54
I should have been more specific. You can take the Yokosuka line from either Tokyo Station, or Shinagawa Station, depending on which is closer to your accommodation.

by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Nikko 2008/6/23 01:07
I am just on my way back from a three day trip to Japan and I have been to both Nikko and Kamakura. It all depends how much walking are you prepared to do as well. I loved Nikko because it has very impressive shrines and they are very easily reached on foot. Kamakura has places spread all over the city. However I have found the architecture in Nikko more original. Hope that hopes.
by Joanna rate this post as useful

ups 2008/6/23 01:08
Sorry, was supposed to be three weeks trip... Lack of sleep on the plane ;)
by Joanna rate this post as useful

reply to this thread