Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will debit card work? Cash or credit? 2008/6/24 10:54
Daughter going to Japan. She will take some Yen with her. Do Debit Cards work? What do you suggest?
by Laura  

debit cards 2008/6/24 18:07
It all depends on your bank. if your debit card has the logo from either Cirrus or Plus or Maestro, it will work. Note that all the 7-11 convenience stores (are you from North America like me?) have ATMs accepting cards with the above logos. check www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
department stores and many hotels take foreign credit cards (tell you card company that you daughter is going to Japan!)
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Extra charge! 2008/6/24 18:18
My debitcard from Dutch Postbank with Maestro logo is accepted at ATM's in conveniant stores. But mind you, not only my own bank charges me for withdrawal, the sevenbank does too, an extra 210 yen per withdrawel. All other Japanese banks did not!
by Trudy rate this post as useful

yes 2008/6/24 19:15
check with your bank and find out the fees. Most banks aren't too much. But easy to get cash at the ATMS. I use the ATMS in the post offices mostly. (no extra fees there) and there seems to be a post office everywhere. You can also exchange cash for yen in the larger post offices.
by daz88 rate this post as useful

cash 2008/6/24 19:45
Everytime I have gone to Japan I have exchanged all my money to yen at my bank before I leave, my account doesn't charge me commission. I have never had a problem carrying large amounts of cash in Japan as it is safe.
On occasion I have had to use my debit card and I've found that the cash points in the 7 Eleven will always take international cards
by mary rate this post as useful

fee 2008/6/28 15:07
Yes but your own bank will give you a terrible rate. I got 145 yen for a euro when the official rate was 155 two months ago (it's 167 now)
by Mark rate this post as useful

debit card 2008/6/28 15:40
Mark is right about that--i change at a post office using a debit card. i use my American AMX card in Hotels, major dept stores, Costco.
by wds rate this post as useful

post office 2008/6/28 22:53
I do it only at the post office. TD Canada Trust charges $5 per withdrawal, but this is last year.. I normally carry cash + credit, and I only use the debit WHEN I go over my budget (out of cash) and the stuff I need to spend money on doesnt take credit. :)
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

debit, cash? 2008/6/29 00:30
There no right or wrong answer, it is a personal choice.One has to factor in the convenience. I had rather pay 5 $ in extra bank fees (the price of a bowl of ramen and less than a parfait sunday) than carry big amounts of cash.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

my opinion 2008/6/29 06:23
Personally, I think cash would be best. Unless she plans on spending large sums and staying at upscale places, cash is not considered a strange form of payment in Japan. It's also safe.
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Difficult 2008/6/29 07:28
I'm from Norway and I could only get cash with my card (VISA) in post offices and Citibanks.
I spent some hours one day finding cash - which was very frustrating. International cash machines weren't as international as they said, like the ones in 7-11.
My tip is to get a decent amount of yen before the trip. You can also change at the airport in Japan. And always know where the nearest post office or Citibank is. Also pay with credit card wherever you can (which fortunately will be more places than the guide books tell you).
by Olve rate this post as useful

Carrying Cash 2008/7/3 01:30
I don't know how much Japan has changed since I last went there two years ago, but the last time I went (and all the other times I went before that) I felt perfectly safe carrying around large amounts of cash. I carried around $2,000 (US) for 10 days going everywhere from busy shopping malls to popular tourist destinations and never once did I feel like I was in danger of being robbed.

I agree that it pays off to be cautious, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to be paying $5 in bank fees everytime you want to withdraw whatever amount from your debit card.
by Aya rate this post as useful

go with cash 2008/7/3 10:07
I'd also recommend bringing as much cash as you can.

My experience here in Tokyo seems to be counter to many others. The 7-11s won't take my ATM card even though it was supposed to (Cirrus). Citibank is no problem, but they aren't located everywhere. They're not scare either, you'll find them in the major areas in Tokyo.

It does seem weird but it isn't a big deal to carry around large amounts of cash. I had about $1500 when I got here. I was careful, of course, but it's ok to do that.

When my parents visited they brought traveler's cheques in yen and got the cash at their hotel. So that could be an option.

No one accepts my credit card, so I'd say pay in cash as much as you can.

I wouldn't always assume that the hotels, etc., where you are staying would accept credit cards either. I'd recommending finding out ahead of time, if possible.
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread