Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jstraight perm for Black girls 2008/6/25 00:26
Thinking of getting a Japanese straight perm. I know it has been discussed here before but I'm specifically looking for someone who has gotten one and hearing their opinions. Anyone experienced it? Do you recommend it? FYI my hair is natural Black and very very curly and thick. It takes about 2 hrs to dry and flat iron...looking for anything to shorten the time and effort.
by haircurious  

facts about j-perm and black hair 2008/7/15 14:32
the japanese straight perm or TR(thermal reconditioning) is NOT recommended for black hair. even if its natural with no other chemicals on it...the japanese perm wasn't designed for the tight curl pattern of black hair. even if you go ahead and get it (and it goes well) you'll have to touch the new growth as it comes in...you're only supposed to get it done again once every 6 months...for curlier hair it'll more much sooner because the difference btwn the straightened hair and natural curls is too great...it can easily break off.

if you want to do a relaxer then get a sodium hydroxide relaxer....with this type you can control how straight your hair gets...so you can loosen the curl pattern a bit to make your hair more wavy-like or go all the way to straight.

go to this site: http://www.verticalsinhair.com/intro.shtml

http://www.verticalsinhair.com/facts.shtml

this guy is an expert and his site is very informative. there are many stylists out there that will give you the TR instead of warning you against it because they'd rather have your money than help you keep healthy hair and do whats best for it.

i have not had it done...i wanted to but talked to steve first and he told me the truth...if i hadn't talked to him and went ahead and had it done, i would've severely damaged my hair. (i've got a relaxer and the chemicals don't mix.) but if my hair was natural and not not relaxed, it still wouldn't be a good idea. steve actually studies the molecular structure of hair and trains stylists in TR so you can trust his opinion.

he also is an expert in other methods of straightening hair of all types, so read thru his site and go to the forum and ask/post a question about what you should do for easier to manage hair. he usually responds within a few hours unless he's on vacation.
by hopuchan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread