Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese tution fees? 2008/7/1 08:57
My husband and I are considering a move to Japan. I am part way though a degree in nursing. What we want to know is how much are public school tution fees? My daugher is only 6 months old but when we go she will probably spend elementary and maybe highschool there. I heard that elementary and junior high are compulsory. Are there any fee's for those? What is an idea of what we'd have to pay for highschool each year?
Thanks.
by Sara  

just for reference 2008/7/1 16:55
I kept record of how much I spent for my child's public junior high school. It was roughly 450,000 yen in 3 years. This includes fees for school uniforms, school trips and club activity. Club activity fee differs greatly depending on the club. I think ours was about average. Lunch is not included. In our city lunch is not provided.

Elementary school, I think, is about the same, except that as far as I know, all public elementary schools in Japan provide lunch. So lunch fee will be included.

Fees differ depending on the municipal and may differ greatly depending on the region and certainly the era. Subsidy is provided to those who have very low income. In any case, I've heard of families who can't afford a lot of things, but I've never heard of anyone in Japan not being able to have compulsory education just because the parents don't have money.

I would worry more about the medical fees that a family will likely be using while the child is an infant or preschooler. At some municipals, child's medical fees are free and at some they are not. Also, it's normal for a child to attend at least 2 years of kindergarten or nursery school.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread