Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Just got into TUJ 2008/7/1 14:02
Hello I have been reading the posts on Japan guide for some time now and this is my first time posting so Ifm not shore if I am doing this right butcwe will see!

Ok herefs my question, I just got my acceptance letter from Temple university Japan (TUJ) and it had mentioned attendance to one of there new student placement tests, orientation, and academic advising and registrations.

I was wondering if Anyone who is going to TUJ or is going to be might know how they go about doing this with students that live outside of Japan?

Also on a more brooder aspect, I am kind of wondering what it like for a American female In Tokyo? Are there any things other then the basic things, (basic living in the city common sense) that I should be prepared for before I go?
by Nightfire  

... 2008/7/4 07:33
The orientation/test/ etc all take place after your arrival in japan. The check in date for new students is about a week or so before the semester starts.

As for being a foreign female, I am a foreign female and I would say there isnt too much you have to worry about. You'll get the odd guy trying to pick you up once in awhile but i've never felt threatened or in danger.
by K rate this post as useful

things to bring 2008/7/4 07:53
Most people advise bringing anti-perspirant/ deodorant because the Japanese versions are weaker.

A lot of people also say the over-the-counter medicines like allergy and cold medicines here don't work for them. I haven't noticed this personally, but I seem to be in the minority.

If you are bigger/ taller than the average Japanese woman then shoes, hose, pants, bras etc. that fit can be difficult to find. I'm 5'9" and take a US size 8.5 shoe and have a very limited selection of shoes and pants here.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/7/4 23:43
Thanks a lot that really helps me out!
Yeah I am working on losing some weight now because I know that if I go over there as a large in US size, that my chances of being able to find anything that fits me when the time comes are slim.
by Nightfire rate this post as useful

Helpful website 2008/7/10 09:44
I'm also applying to TUJ for the Spring 2009 semester. There is website "community" of sorts for anyone trying to attend TUJ. Its really helpful and the creator also keeps a youtube blog. Check it out!

http://tujinfo.uber.com/home

hope this helps :)
by Stephanie rate this post as useful

sizes/ hair products 2008/7/10 10:24
If you take a large in the US you will indeed have a very limited choice of clothing here. I take XS or S in US sizes (going by GAP sizes at least, I'm not from the US), and I take an M or L in Japanese stores.

Some people also say to bring conditioner from home as the Japanese hair products tend to be heavy. Here again I don't have a problem with Japanese conditioner, even though I have fine hair, but lots of people seem to prefer to bring it from home.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Oh Thanks Stephanie, That actually helps a lot! I was looking for something like this, but just could not seem to find anything. :)

Yes, I know I am going to have a hard time, I am hoping to get myself to a size 9 at lest so that maybe I can swing a Large. As for conditioner, I did not know that. It is something I am going to have to keep in mind because I have long extremely curly hair, so a good conditioner in a must.
by Nightfire rate this post as useful

antiperspirant 2008/7/11 04:25
bring anti perspirant, a few sticks of it, and make sure you have family or friends who can keep you supplied during the summer months. i'm serious. it's hot and humid as hell here in the summer, and if you have to wear professional attire (such as if you get a job teaching english) you will want to die from sweating so much just from walking along the street. also bring a small face towel / cloth napkin as bathrooms here don't use paper towels.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread