Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

TUJ semester or more? 2008/7/1 15:02
About TUJ, has anyone been there for more them a semester? It seems like its a school that kids would go to just for a semester, so im wondering if anyone has been there longer for about a year or more.
by flo  

Well... 2008/7/2 00:31
I will not be going until next fall, but from what I have seen online (and I've been scouring the internet) it seems that quite a few students stay around 2 semesters. However, most of the blogs and journals I've read were written by students with no prior experience living in Japan. That may or may not be a factor.

I know that there are students who remain to fulfill the requirements of a Bachelor's or higher, so I don't think it would be accurate to say that most student leave after only 1-2 semesters.

There are other language schools in Japan that would offer something closer to a 1 semester experience, if that's what you're looking for.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/4 07:30
i've been there for 2 years, majority of people go for 1-2 semesters because either TUJ doesnt offer their majors or because of the cost, but there are quite a few students who go there for long periods.
by K rate this post as useful

Helpful site 2008/7/30 13:48
Try:

http://tujinfo.uber.com/home

It's an un-official website for people wanting/trying to go to TUJ. It's really great so check it out! The forums there help too. There's people with experience that give good advice.
by Stephanie rate this post as useful

TUJ Sucks!!! 2008/7/31 01:33
Just trust me, TUJ sucks and you don't wanna go there!

Its more than $7,000 a semester and the education there sucks, its not worth the money.

The school has absolutly no campus, its just the first 6 floors of an office building.

The Japanese classes at TUJ suck and to actually learn the language you have to enroll in language classes outside of the university.

The school is filled with so many Americans, that its the same as going to a school in the states. You'll most likely just hanging out with other foreigners so its pointless.

The Japanese students there are mostly Americanized so they won't help you in learning Japanese.

The reason the tuition for TUJ is so expensive is because TUJ doesn't recieve government funding and tax breaks like other Japanese universities.

You would be better off going to another Japanese University with English language programs.

Ritsumeikan APU is the largest international university in Japan and the tuition is only like $2,000 a semester. The classes are in english and the education sucks, but its better than TUJ and the Japanese program is amazing and they'll have you speaking the language in a year. The school has an amazing campus and only like 30 American students and a handfull of Europeans so you'll be forced to immerse yourself in the language.

The other schools you could check out are Sophia University, ICU, Waseda SILS, Akita International University.

Anything but TUJ... it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Honestly I would go back to my old Japanese university but I'm only another semester away from graduation so i'm just gonna put up with the crap here.

I have not learned a thing in all my time at TUJ and I have wasted nearly $40,000 in the process!
by TUJ Student rate this post as useful

It's just like any Uni 2008/7/31 23:05
Sure, a lot of students do stay for only 1 semester, but there are a lot of us here who have toughed it out as well. It's definitely not the worst uni I've been to, and I've gone to 3. It really depends on what you expect out of TUJ. I know a lot of students who thought that if they just show up for Japanese class, coupled by the fact that they live in Japan that they will naturally absorb the language. Also, if you want a large sprawling campus, you won't find it in Tokyo. Just make sure to research before you commit to staying here. It can be tough, but it's still a decent school and if your major is International Affairs or something similar, it can be a good thing.
by lennythenoob rate this post as useful

Do what you want 2008/12/9 11:29
Hey TUJ Student,
You sound like my Mom talking about all the money cost. Young kids like us out of high school don't care about how much money we spend as our parents pay for school right? That place you recommend Ritsumeikan APU does suck as is in the middle of nowhere Oita vs. TUJ that is in the center of Tokyo. Going to school in Japan is good if you are in a major city like Tokyo or Osaka and not in the countryside of Oita. There's nothing to do in Oita but learn Japanese! If you want to learn how to speak Japanese the Ritsumeikan APU countryside immersion style and get payed to do it, then once you graduate college (in Japan or not) apply for working in Japan for the JET English teacher job. JET has no schools located near Tokyo so you will have to learn to speak Japanese in one of their schools located in the country side and get payed for it at the same time!
by SSteve rate this post as useful

Hey Steve 2008/12/9 16:28
Not all of us are just out of high school and not all of us have Mommy and Daddy pay for our tuitions, some of us actually work and take out loans to make ends meet. Sadly this is the world of adults and I'm not even that old, I'm 23.

And with the yen as strong as it is, last time I checked it was 92 yen to the dollar, the tuition, as it's paid in yen, is going to be a lot more than $7,000 a semester.

You should be a little more grateful to your parents for footing the bill of your Japanese vacation.

In regards to the countryside of Japan versus Tokyo, have you ever even been there? If you have then you would see that both the Japanese countryside and the large cities have something good to offer.

What you said about the JET program, I think your information is a little off as they will place you at schools anywhere in Japan, including Tokyo, and it is only applicable to people residing outside of Japan and not really an option for those of us living here. It also makes no sense to wait until you graduate to learn Japanese by teaching at some school in the countryside. Not everyone wants to teach English.

Honestly there is no point in comming to TUJ or any other school in Japan if you're not going to make an effort to learn Japanese. It's just a waste.
by TUJ Student rate this post as useful

TUJ is only part of the experience 2009/8/2 14:29
I spent last spring semester in Tokyo and went to TUJ. While I do agree that the TUJ does seem inadequate at times, especially considering that TUJ is really only six floors, it's up to you to determine whether you want to get something out of your experience there.

If you enroll in the cultural exchange program, you'll get a chance to meet and hang out with Japanese students learning English. I met many of my Japanese friends in Tokyo through the program.

In addition, learning the language and culture of Japan through classes at TUJ can be a bit boring at times, but, ultimately essential for someone who really wants to learn about Japanese history and culture.

It's up to you...
by mesgue2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread