Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Continuing Education 2008/7/2 01:19
Tokyo 23-ku
How common is continuing adult education in Japan? I am moving to Tokyo next year, and while I do not have an undergrad degree, I have more than enough experience with special computer software packages to qualify for a work visa. However, I would still like to pursue finishing my degree. Please be aware that I have no intention to stay in the US, so please refrain from the "Finish your degree in the US first" response. Another option, should it be too difficult to find evening/adult education in Japan, is simply to enroll online with my local university (university of delaware). That could be costly, plus I wouldn't have the added benefit of being in a class environment with native speakers and people who share the same interests..

Any ideas? Is it common for adults to finish school at night?

Any thoughts (save the above refrain) would be appreciated.

by Kazamatsuri  

... 2008/7/2 15:10
just do your degree online, or enroll into a japanese university.

sorry to annoy you but it may be better to finish your degree in the u.s - please take this from someone who is in a very similar situation. i have years of computer experience, i can program in a number of different languages as well as design stuff in photoshop, illustrator, etc.. the problem is companies hiring I.T. type staff here are looking for staff with degrees - if you don't have one the problem becomes less related to whether you can get hired and more whether they'll even consider you due to the increased aggravation they will face dealing with immigration to have your visa approved.

doing your degree in the states is the easiest way (since you can work and study at the same time). the alternative is to enroll in a university here (such as TUJ, Sophia, Morioka College, etc) and then get a work permit.

just my advice. i'm canadian and here on a working holiday visa. if i don't end up getting married before my visa runs out next year, i'll be coming back here to do a degree, despite the fact i'll be kind of old (22 right now).

good luck!
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/2 15:11
when i said "here" i was of course referring to japan, which is where i live right now.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

just to add and clarify 2008/7/2 23:01
Adult education is certainly common among local adults, but of course it is done in the local language mainly for legal residents.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/7/3 01:29
Thank you. I will not be attending school in the USA. My skills right now are in demand in Japan, at least according to the number of job search returns I receive when I search by keyword (I have specialized training in SAP and data/information analysis, as well as an accounting background).... Ergo, I think it's wiser that I get situated over there. Not to get political, but I'm tired of my tax dollars supporting a war that I hate, and now that war with Iran is looming on the horizon, I just assume capitalize on my previous experiences, both domestic and international, and support the Japanese economy with my taxes.

Thanks again for the responses. Sorry if it seemed like a political rant.

by Kazamatsuri rate this post as useful

You won't like the answer... 2008/7/3 04:50
First off, some background. I ran the Technology Department (Software Development, Quantitative Analysis, Database and Systems Admin) for a Tokyo-based hedge fund before moving to the U.S. (I am not American).

You may well possess technology skills that are currently in demand in Japan but since you do not have a degree it will be difficult to obtain a work visa. There are, of course, exceptions such as marrying a Japanese national. My visa was that of an inter-company transferee.

Assuming it is going to take you longer than 3 months to complete your degree online, legally you are going to have to obtain a visa that does not permit you to work full time (student, cultural etc.) in order to live in Japan. That seems like a whole lot of effort compared to the obvious alternative (which I shan't mention).
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread