Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel in Hokkaido 2008/7/3 12:43
I'll be visiting Hokkaido for 9 days from 16-24 July'08

I'll go with my 5-month pregancy wife and 3.5 years old child.

Here is our itenerary (already fixed) :
16th: I'll arrive Sapporo late at night.
17th: Will go to Hakodate. Expect to arrive Hakodate around noon, and spend all day travelling in Hakodate. Stay at Toyoko-Inn Ekimae Asaichi.
18th: Spend another day in Hakodate
19th: Will leave to Noboribetsu. Will visit Bear Farm and Hell Valley. And stay at Dai-chi Takimotokan.
20th: Travel back to Sapporo late afternoon. Stay at New Sunroute Hotel.
21th: Spend another day in Sapporo.
22th: Go to Asahikawa for Asahiyama Zoo and Mt.Asahidake. Stay at Toyoko Inn Ekimae Miyashita Dori.
23th: Go to Biei and Furano for Lavender Field. Come back to stay Asahikawa.
24th: Get back to Sapporo and go back to BKK.

Many said I should have changed my route but I was fixed by air-ticket (to sapporo).

My questions:
1. Should I drive or use JR Rail Pass?
2. If I drive, what is an average parking fee in Hokkaido? Per hour/ Per day/or per minute?
3. I've heard that distances between one attraction to another attractions is quite far. If I use JR Pass, is it gonna be so tired for my wife to walk from place to place in those cities?

Actually, all I'm worried about is parking fee. If the parking fee is acceptable, I'll drive. But if it's extremely high, I'll take JR Rail Pass.

Thank you very much for your advise in advance.
by seng1177  

Hokkaido 2008/7/4 01:04
Hello!
You had better drive because you have to walk much in the city of Hokkaido, especially in Hakodate(called town of slope)
I think parking fee is not so expensive for me, Japanese. I think fee to be around JYE200-500/hour or free at some sightseeing spot.
Sorry for short answer.

by Hokkaido rate this post as useful

Both 2008/7/6 01:53
Stick to public transport inside cities and between cities where rail lines exist.

Check out the JR Hokkaido flexible 4-day pass when you can use the pass on any 4 of 10 days. If you plan right, this will get you on the long hauls between cities. It might be cheaper just to buy the tickets, though.

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/railpass/4days_0...

I would avoid driving in Sapporo, the subways, taxis, and street cars can get you to just about anywhere you want. The problem with parking is finding a place near your destination when you don't know the area.

The streetcar and buses in Hakodate are easy to use and not expensive. If you prefer, taxis can get you around. The Hakodate hotel is right next to the morning market and only 2 blocks from the station with the bus stops for say the bus to the top of Hakodate-san. The fort and museum at Goryokoku is about a 5 block walk from the nearest street car stop. Walk one-way and taxi back?

Taxis are going to be more economical for you in some cases because you will always be splitting the cost instead of buying 2 tickets.

You might rent cars for the day or 2 days when you want to get to a place to explore outside of town, such as to Furano from Asahikawa.

Your hotels are very close to the stations, just a couple of blocks at most. A taxi ride would be minimum fare and wouldn't be necessary if you didn't have a lot of luggage or the weather was good.

You'd better check to see if parking is even available at your hotels as the downtown business hotels don't cater to people with cars and sometimes only have a couple of spaces out front.

by Anaguma rate this post as useful

To Furano 2008/7/6 12:00
I think I'd rather take those public transportation for the whole trip. Just don't have to be rush, right? :)

To Furano, is it convenient if I take JR? Should I try a Norokko train?

Thank you so much.
by seng1177 rate this post as useful

zoo 2008/7/6 12:51
JR runs a special Ltd. Exp. Asahiyama Zoo Train from Sapporo to Asahiyama Zoo in the summer. The train is decorated inside-out on an "animal theme", even has a playroom for children inside one of the compartments. It runs on weekends from June to October, but from late July to end of August, it runs every day.

http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp
by William rate this post as useful

reply to this thread