Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cellphones? 2008/7/3 17:27
I've recently arrive in Japana and before I left I asked the shop where I bought my cellphone if it would work in Japan. They told me that it would!
To my complete horror, though, I realized that it DOES NOT work and that it will never work. No foreign cellphones work here in Tokyo, Japan (is that true?).

So what are my options if I want to be easily reachable?

I don't really know so that is my question.

I've heard that you can buy prepaid cards. That you can rent a phone. Buy a used one. I've also heard that since I'm a foreigner that no one will sell me a phone with a plan or even a prepaid card.
What is true??? The point is how do I get a phone that works CHEAP??? And where (I know akihabara is going to be the answer to that, am I wrong?)???

Thank you!!!!
by AleAre  

cell phones 2008/7/3 17:40
Some foreign phones do work here in Japan, it just really depends on the model and frequency. I don't know who your cell provider is, but I had AT&T and they do have phones that can work abroad in Japan, sadly mine didn't.

I rented a cell phone from the airport. I think I could have chosen a cheaper service, if I had done more research before hand. Renting a phone is not much of a hassle. If you look at Narita's website, you can find information and links to places that rent cellphones.

I hope this helps a bit.
by mandahhh rate this post as useful

Mobile phone 2008/7/3 17:54
AleAre,

The best/cheapest option will vary depending on how long you plan to stay in Japan. If you are here for more than a couple of months, and have an alien registration card, then you can buy a regular or prepaid phone with no problems. Secondhand phones are not normally sold in Japan, except on the black market.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Softbank 2008/7/3 19:56
I was in Japan last year for just 1 Month. Some of the schools foreign students got some Prepaid Phones, so I too went to Softbank and see if I could get one. All they asked for was a Passport, the address where I was currently staying in Japan and my home country address. After that I got one. I know there is a similar thread dicussion about this.

And for those who dont agree:
Why didnt the security staff at the Airport took it a way if this was Illegal?
I showed it to them and none of the staff both airport staff and security staff even asked me a question nor did they care about it.

I'll be heading there tomorow and will be using it again. (must by a Phonecard)

Greetings
by Kage rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/3 21:54
AleAre,

As mentioned above your options really depend on how long you will be in Japan for. Let us know and we can give you more detailed advice.

More general info on phones in Japan can be found here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223_top.html

Kage,

Why didnt the security staff at the Airport took it a way if this was Illegal?
I showed it to them and none of the staff both airport staff and security staff even asked me a question nor did they care about it.

As I mentioned on the other thread, they wouldn't confiscate it because it is not their job too.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

cell rental at narita 2008/7/12 01:22
From my own experience, I didn't plan to rent a cell, but then I saw a cellphone rental right outside the exit gate at Narita, and the rate is not too expensive. 250 yen per day and 80 yen per outgoing call. Incoming calls are free! And since between-softbank calls are free, you can just ask your friends to call you. Very useful if you are planning to meet friends in Japan.
by r_aussie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread