Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

vegetarian sushi on conveyor belt? 2008/7/3 22:11
Hi, I'm a vegetarian and will be going to Japan in September. I love vegetarian sushi, and have always wanted to try a conveyor belt sushi place. Anyone have suggestions on how to locate which pieces are vegetarian? I've had some veggie sushi before that looked pretty much identical to fish before. Can you make requests of the chefs? Thanks!
by Amber  

Vegetarian sushi 2008/7/4 10:18
Amber,

As long as you realize that there will probably be only a few items that you can eat.
Off the top of my head, there's egg, aubergine, cucumber rolls (kappa maki), and inarizushi (rice inside tofu pockets). I've been to places that serve avocado salad gunkan rolls and maitake mushroom tempura, but these are not typical menu items you'll find in all sushi restaurants. You can ask the staff which items don't contain fish/meat, and they will of course be happy to make any items that aren't on the conveyor belt.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

other veggie sushi 2008/7/5 05:34
Other veggie sushi options commonly available include kampyo-maki (pickled gourd - fairly mild and sweet); natto (fermented soybeans) maki or temaki (cone-shaped), which often come with chopped chives or shiso leaf; ume-shiso - pickled plum paste with shiso leaf. The sushi with coleslaw-style salad on top are usually not vegetarian - they often include shreds of crab or shrimp. Some conveyor belt sushi places also serve things like edamame (boiled green soybeans - you pop the beans into your mouth and leave the pods), candied sweet potatoes, fresh fruit or fruit salad, almond tofu pudding and so on. As a vegetarian I usually find a reasonable amount I can eat. And remember, if there isn't what you want on the actual conveyor belt, you can usually order it from the picture menu.
by tokyoite rate this post as useful

reply to this thread