Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Last minute Tokyo accommodation 2008/7/3 22:48
Hi,

two days ago, I decided to go to Tokyo during this weekend. I was busy throughout the week though, so I didn't book any accommodation, and wanted to do it now. I thought there is so many accommodation in Tokyo that something just must be free ... but I am trying to find some budget accommodation, but after quite a long time, I just can't find anything.

I am leaving tomorrow at midnight (friday to saturday) so I should get something by then. I can't call anywhere today, I will try it tomorrow, but all online booking is full.

I just need something cheap - if possible, not more than 5000 yen, the less the better, 3500 is ideal. And not far from the center. I guess I can't be picky in this situation though.

What to do now? I wouldn't mind staying in some kind of capsule hotel (it would be a nice experience, I think), but are they always free? Is it possible to rely on it? Any other idea?

Thank you very much
by zennie  

Hotels 2008/7/4 10:38
Capsule Hotels actually seem quite expensive (depending on the location of course). One that I saw walking around before on the Ginza Line near Ginza was about 4500 yen per night. Others that I've seen around Shinjyuku were around 3000 yen.
by Garrett rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/4 13:12
So there are some, but I wonder if I can rely on it? Are they usually free? Up to 5000 yen it's ok, but 3000 is not expensive, it's perfect. Moreover in Shinjuku, it's best, since I will finish up in Shinjuku, as I want to see Tokyo night life.

Another question, I decided to go by train from Okazaki. According to grace.hyperdia.com, there's a train which leaves 00:24 and reaches Tokyo at 05:05. Normal "futsuusha" train. Can I expect it to have free seats, or it's wiser to pay for reservation?

It actually lists 3 lines, (JR New rapid train and 2x JR Tokaido), which are connected by this icon http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/img/bigbitmap5.gif .. they say it has "0 transfers", but why the 3 lines? Does it really mean I don't have to transfer?

Thanks
by zennie rate this post as useful

Okazaki? 2008/7/4 15:37
You mean you leave for Japan on Friday midnight and take train from Okazaki? Then you stay in Tokyo on Sunday night?
Anyway, there is only this train(0:25 dep) runs direct to Tokyo. This train is all reserved seat. You have to reserve it. Of course you van take Shinkansen from Nagoya on day time.

As for hotel in Shinjuku, I checked and room available at some cupsel hotel rate around JYE3000 on Satueday and Sunday. This is famous and big cupsel hotel's web site.
http://www.hgpshinjuku.jp/info/english.pdf
by Mackey rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/4 16:30
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I just returned from the station, I managed to buy train ticket. Unfortunately, there isn't such train back (on sunday-monday night), just the ones with several transfers. Not that I am afraid of transfers, but I just want to sleep a little bit in the train, as I have school on Monday.

I tried Orion Tours bus, but it's also fully occupied on Sunday-monday night. Maybe I will try other companies, but I have a little problems with calling in Japanese, I am not fluent enough and they mostly don't speak English. And other companies don't stop in Okazaki, which makes me pay more for fare from Nagoya to Okazaki.

"I checked and room available at some cupsel hotel rate" ... you mean you checked it and there ARE some rooms available? I don't quite understand that sentence. I will try mailing them. Kabukichou is exciting and it's not so expensive.

..and yea, they have two types of capsules, don't you by chance know, whether power socket is available? In both of them, the more expensive one, or none? Is there any available at hotel at all?

Thanks.

. 2008/7/4 17:00
...sorry for posting before reading through available information. I've just managed to decipher their Japanese website and if I get it correctly, they don't provide sockets at all. Guess I will have to try politely asking them at reception desk, I will probably have to recharge my camera batteries :/

hotels 2008/7/4 17:26
I wouldn't be surprised if in Tokyo, as in Europe, not all hotels are on well known Internet sites if only because they don't want the hassle. I have gone to Tokyo without any reservation whatsoever. In Japan as in Europe I always check an area by a rail station as there are all sort of hotels in all price range. Not only that but I was able-in Tokyo-to get a twin for the price of a single as it was late in the evening! and I don't even speak Japanese. I wouldn't try Shinjuku or Ikebukuro because this is where many foreigners automatically gravitate to. Kanda, Ueno, Ebisu, Shinagawa are more likely..
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/4 17:48
You're right, but I don't want to spend much time and energy on finding hotel. I did it last weekend in Kanazawa, and it took me about 1.5h to find one, which wasn't very cheap (6000), and I was also quite tired, as I was dragging along my bag and the weather was hot. And time is precious, as well as the energy. And I prefer those areas as Shinjuku, I know that there are so many tourists, but I just want to finish there, and maybe start there, because it will spend me time. I may return after midnight, and the trains/subway might not be running by then. And I have no idea of Tokyo buses.

I tried mailing that hotel, no reply still. Maybe I should call them.

Thank you for the reply anyway.

Last Resort 2008/7/4 20:01
If you can't find a capsule hotel, your last resort will be an Internet Cafe. The Maboo Cafes are set up almost like a hotel with showers, snack bars, TV/computers, etc. Only, no bed, just a chair or the floor.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/4 21:08
I found better offer, Ace Inn in Shinjuku. Near subway station, and cheap. The mail issue with capsule hotel was no power socket available, and I will really have to recharge the camera. Moreover, it allows me to arrive in the morning (and leave luggage, probably).

Thanks for all your replies.

reply to this thread