Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Connect to the Internet w/o LAN or ADSL 2008/7/4 10:49
I am moving to a new apartment which has no LAN connection. The owner also refuses to set up ADSL. Yet I really need an Internet connection (who doesn't?).

If someone has any experience with connecting to the Internet through mobile network or any other way I might try, your advice will be truly appreciated.
by Mike1983  

.... 2008/7/4 17:31
you can try using someone elses wireless signal (almost certainly illegal). otherwise the only way you can do it is to get a satellite internet subscription which will require you to install a satellite (unlikely your apartment owner will allow that).

i'd suggest looking for a different apartment, if he won't even budge on something like internet which is basically a necessity these days, just imagine when something more important comes up.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

FOMA by NTT DoCoMo? 2008/7/4 17:40
Thank you, winterwolf.

What about such service as FOMA by NTT DoCoMo? They seem to offer a USB card which allow you to go online through their network.

Has anyone used something like that? I wonder if the price and connection speed are reasonable.

If you wonder why I want the apartment so badly, it's because it's very close to my office. Would be difficult to find another apartment like this, as I'm sort of stuck with a certain accomodation provider.
by Mike1983 rate this post as useful

ADSL 2008/7/4 18:26
Mike,

Is the landlord or owner's permission even necessary for ADSL? If the apartment already has a regular NTT phone line, isn't it just a case of contacting NTT? I thought it was only for things like cable TV or optical fiber that you needed permission from the landlord, as they involve actually routing a new cable into the apartment.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/4 18:50
I don't think you need your apartment owner's permission to set up ADSL becauase it does not need any modification to the apartment facilities.

If you still prefer wireless connection, NTT DoCoMo, KDDI, Willcom and E-Mobile offer unlimited wireless connection through their cellular networks.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/4 18:52
Oh, "unlimited" is not correct about DoCoMo and KDDI. I should have said "flat-rate".

Willcom 2008/7/7 10:22
I'm not sure, but the apartment probably doesn't have a phone line (as my current one) which makes ADSL installation a bit complicated for the owner.

I guess I will go with Willcom.

Thanks for the advice.

... 2008/7/7 10:33
The owner also refuses to set up ADSL.

What do you mean by this? That the owner refuses to set up a building wide network (at his cost) or refuses to allow his individual tenants to subscribe to their own internet?

While some newer apartment buildings include internet access as a utility, most people must subscribe on their own with the various providers. In that case, as dave mentioned, you would probably only need the landlords permission to have new wires run (which is usually paid for by the internet company).

So depending on your situation I'd look into ADSL, Hikari fiber (optical), and cable internet as they are more desirable than mobile or satellite internet which are much slower and more expensive.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/8 02:40
I guess I will go with Willcom.

Willcom is slow. I recommend DoCoMo, KDDI or E-Mobile.

. 2008/7/8 10:20
Thanks, meringue4.

Do you know if there are any respective websites (in English) to check out their pricing, etc? I found that for Willcom, but not for those you listed. Would be nice to compare.

... 2008/7/8 13:01
I'm still unclear on what the situation with your landlord is, and (depending on the specifics) I think you may be able to go with land based internet over mobile internet. If possible I'd suggest checking it out as land based internet is vastly superior.

For example, willcom (which we use when traveling for work as it seems to have the best coverage of the mobile internet services) costs about 12000 yen per month for unlimited data transfer at 256kbps (slow but acceptable).

On the other hand, ADSL is available with speeds from 8Mbps (~30 times faster) for about 3300 yen a month, and doesn't require phone service, so you could probably get it even if your landlord objects to having cable or optical lines put in as this option requires no cost to your landlord and may require no modification of the apartment as phone wiring is most likely already installed.

The following service helps people set up their internet in English at no charge and also lists all the current deals that you may qualify for:

http://bbapply.com

If land based internet is still not an option then these pages can help you compare mobile internet:

Docomo:

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/service/data/index.html

KDDI:

http://www.au.kddi.com/english/data/index.html

e-mobile (not too helpful unfortunatly but all I could find):

http://www.emobile.jp/en/business.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/8 13:42
Thank you very much, yllwsmrf. This is indeed a lot of information. I've already seen some of it, but still have to sort out all these plans, rates and charges.

Anyway, first of all I've got to see if the new apartment has a phone line (not likely) and if BBapply can help me (I really like their attitude and website).

. 2008/7/8 14:52

... 2008/7/8 21:40
BBapply have helped me out on two seperate occasions, I would recommend emailing them to discuss your particular circumstance.

Even if your apartment does not come with an NTT phone line, whats to stop you buying your own and then organising ADSL? Surely your new landlord wont refuse you having a landline phone (unless there are no physical phone lines in the building....which would be a worry in itself)
by Iko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread