Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Importing Nintendo Wii from Japan 2008/7/9 04:50
Okey, so this might not be the typical question in this forum, but it's related to shopping and japan so here I go.

I was thinking of importing a Nintendo Wii from Japan because it's $170 cheaper than where I live, and was wondering if anyone knows an online store with worldwide shipping? Auction sites are fine too.

Thanks in advance!
by Drymedar  

... 2008/7/9 10:12
Where are you importing to?

Be aware that depending on where you live you may also need to get a voltage transformer and your tv must be NTSC compatible (or you can purchase a converter). You will also have to import games as the wii is region coded.

This is one company that sells Japanese wiis and ships internationally:

http://www.play-asia.com
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Wii 2008/7/9 19:52
yllwsmrf, theproblem with play-asia is that they've got american prices, and after taxes it isn't profitable for me. The Wii at amazon.jp costs 25.000 yen, which is $234 while the same Wii at play-asia.com costs $299. Unfortunately, amazon only ships within the country when it comes to stuff like consoles.

And I live in Sweden btw, and yes I'm aware of all the stuff with electricity, PAL and NTSC etc. But that's quite easy to get around.

But thanks for the reply anyway, atleast you tried to help :)
by Drymedar rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/10 10:09
From what I can find, and which will probably come as no suprise, Japanese retailers can 't ship gaming consoles or games outside of Japan.

Auction is unfortunately not an option for you either. Japan uses Yahoo auction (http://auction.yahoo.co.jp) which requires a Japanese credit card in order to sign up for an account. Foreign credit cards are not accepted.

It looks like play-asia or ebay (with even worse prices) may be your only option. After taxes and import fees it looks like it will probably be about the same price as you can get in Sweden, and in the long run may be more expensive as you will have to import games.

... 2008/7/10 10:15
One more option is to use a personal shopper service to purchase it and then send it to you. There are a number of services available if you do a google search for "japan personal shopper", however after taking a cursory look at some of them, I don't think you will save much if any money that way either.

reply to this thread