Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Telstra Next G Mobile with Int. Roaming 2008/7/9 10:22
Hi there
If I have activated international roaming and have a Telstra Next G mobile will that mean I can sms home to Aust? Also with this setup will I be able to sms another Australian mobile held by a friend in same area (ie if my friend and I get separated can I sms to find out where they are when in Tokyo using my Aust. telstra mobile? Thanks for your help!!!
by Aleph  

Yes, works fine 2008/7/10 01:39
You have the option of NTT Docomo or Vodafone JP (Sofmap) while roaming on Telstra. I was there in May and worked fine. Docomo is cheaper - about 35c per SMS vs 40c odd.

You don't need to have a NextG service, just a 3G compatible phone.
by Scott rate this post as useful

CAUTION 2009/1/26 12:25
BUT ... be sure thatt he phone you have will work on the band that Japan uses. It is NOT the same as NextG Telstra. Believe it is 2100mhz.

I had a Samsung A412 with me this year and it was not capable of finding the network. Talk about a waste!
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/26 19:29
My Nokia also doesn't work in Japan.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

2100 2009/1/26 20:09
DEFINITELY need 2100: VERY FEW Telstra phones have it: Telstra sold us a Motorola V3 AND a V6 saying they would both work in Japan [V6 is now no longer available] last year, but only the V6 worked: [a real pain for us with work related stuff, but not devastating as we at least had one working phone]; go to Telstra and DO NOT leave until they show you it has 2100: I found JB HiFi staff were more helpful: Telstra only have one phone [a Sony ericson]and it had to be on a plan: JB were able to sell it outright.....good luck....
by fmj rate this post as useful

Telstra & Next-G in Japan 2009/2/11 14:06
The technical knowledge of Telstra shop staff is unfortunately very limited. I have just been told by my local shop manager to do my own research and tell THEM what phone I need to buy that will work in Japan. I understand that there are many phones which which will operate on the Japanese Bandwidth of UMTS/CDMS 2100 MHz. The Nokia N-95 version 3 being one but because they have been altered by Telstra to suit their Next-G Network requirements they have been "de-tuned" to operate at only 850/1900 MHz which is definitely NOT compatible with Japan(as I have just found out to my cost!) So take anything Telstra tell you with a pinch of salt and make sure that what they sell you has not been altered to suit their Next G Network, as it will be useless in Japan
by Aloke (guest) rate this post as useful

Agreed 2009/2/12 06:03
altered by Telstra to suit their Next-G Network requirements they have been "de-tuned" to operate at only 850/1900 MHz which is definitely NOT compatible with Japan(as I have just found out to my cost!)
Agreed!!!! We found that out with a Telstra Motorola RazzV3: they had sold it to us assuring us it would work in Japan but because they had altered it no 2100 was available..very irritating: don't take for granted what is written on the box.....

update 2009/4/24 18:54
we recently had roaming etc as before, and this time we were able to sms SOFTBANK Japanese phones, but not any others. Also, the Softbank owners were able to email from their phones to our phone numbers, so long as the "+country code" was in use. Hope this helps.

reply to this thread